Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Is the spawn over?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is the spawn over?

Is the question I keep getting. Well, only one way to find out. Set the alarm to be on the water at first light, but apparently so did the rain! So, since I was not interested in drying everything out later, decided to wait it out with another cup of coffee. After the deluge, we got on the water shortly after 8:00, and hit an area I haven't been to this year, but is usually pretty good during the spawn. They were home! My first fish was a big ol fat 14 incher. Now, one of the stupidest things I have done is put a scale in my boat. What I would normally call a 2.5 pounder didn't quite make 1.5! Fish tales always go better without certification!
    Now, is the spawn over? Not quite, but the fat lady is licking her lips! Today was a reversal of previous trips, in that most caught were white crappie. We kept 8 for our dining pleasure, and while doing the deed, I found very mushy eggs. It will be over before very much longer, but that means dock shooting is a coming!
    The water temps were 70-75 depending on where you were. Today was run n gun day, so we fished a lot of different areas. How deep? You know, I never really know. I single pole, and I like to let it fall on a slack line. Today I went with a 1/32 jighead for an even slower fall. So, not totally sure where they grabbed it, but probably 5-7 feet deep would be the best guess. There is another thread about missing bites that I have watched with interest. I don't know my ratio, because I rarely feel a bite, I see it. Slack line, line moving away, line goes tight, or just feels heavy. How many do I not see? I dunno. Go get em!Name:  IMG_0579.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  51.9 KBName:  IMG_0580.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  74.1 KBName:  IMG_0577.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  57.7 KBWill someone please rotate the pics before all the blood rushes to my already fat head!

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

No and I'm guessing maybe a week more of good fishing (On the Chick)
    Likes ET Fish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenncrappie View Post
    No and I'm guessing maybe a week more of good fishing (On the Chick)
    I agree 100%!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Nice crappie.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish! My run and gun days are over. Ima old bull. I just troll over to the cow pasture and the fishes start mooooooooing.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Nice fish! My run and gun days are over. Ima old bull. I just troll over to the cow pasture and the fishes start mooooooooing.
    Actually, my run is more of a fast stroll, and my gun shoots BB's! But that ain't good story tellin!

Post Thanks / Like

Great job out there! Up here in New England, the spawn is just beginning!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Some spots here have been going hog wild for a month .....long spawn this year at a few places I visit for sure .....good job there
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes ET Fish, DENNIS BOWERS LIKED above post