Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hmm, I need tackle suggestions!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hmm, I need tackle suggestions!

I already have my rod & reel, as well as the line. I'm kind of clueless as far as crappie go, since this is really my first year truly targeting them specifically. I don't have a boat, since my family doesn't have the money, but I've heard you can still do very well with crappie from the bank. I live in East Texas, and I'd like some suggestions on lures, minnow hooks, rigs, and weights. Looking through my tackle box, I see almost primarily spinner-baits. Some new lure suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gibb.
    If you've got fishin' fever, I've got the fishin' PLAGUE!

Post Thanks / Like

The thing you need to do is search the forums. The archives here are HUGE, and I'm sure we have answered your questions many times over. There is a ton of info on how to get started all the way down the line to grizzled expert advice, so just look around and your gonna learn more than you bargained for. I doubt there is a subject about crappie fishing that we haven't covered several times here.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Try to be specific. I've been crappie fishing for nearly 40 yrs, and I ask questions all the time. The learning never stops.

You may want to stop by the state forums for your area or where your going to fish. The local guys will help and those forums have a ton of info as well.

As far as fishing from shore, I have spent far more than half my time crappie fishing from the shore, and have caught thousands of crappies while standing on dirt, concrete, rocks, aluminum, wood, asphalt, or grass. Look for public docks or marinas where they allow shore fishing. Even if they don't if your nice and ask permission and don't look like a serial killer your likely to be the only one allowed to fish there and have a nice little crappie fishing factory to yourself. Look for creek mouths and canals, or just look for other fisherman fishing from shore.

In TX the crappies should be shallow now and often during this time the fishing is better from the shore if you find the right spot.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 03-04-2007 at 12:18 AM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Grizz gives good advice....The thing about "bank" fishing for "predators", is that during cold times in the water they move deep....So, during cold water times they may move out of the shallows and you have bad days....So, you might equip your tacklebox for other species during these times....Brim, cats, and carp and so on....Also, bottom fishing with larger weights will help with farther cast to get to the deep water provided the fish are suspended close to the bottom.....JMO....

I read an interesting article about "bank fishing", and the author suggested that a "bank fisherman" is better off to target anything and everything if "fishing year around"....Something like 80% of fish holding to the shallows are "prey" species...Of course, the spawning period is an exception to that rule of thumb.....DemoMan

Post Thanks / Like

Get a long pole (7 - 8 foot) with a good little spinning reel. Use a weighted bobber and a #4 red hook. Throw it out and slowly (over 5 minutes) bring it back in towards you. This way you cover alot of area. Once you find out where they are biting, target that area. You can put alot of crappies in the cooler using this method from shore. I use an 8 foot Wally Marshall crappie pole and with that you can sling a weighted bobber a country mile!

Post Thanks / Like

if bank fishing gets boring, try wading and tube-floating. a tractor innertube was my first boat.