Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Disapointed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Very Disapointed

From my reports you can see that I have fished John Redmond, Coffey county, lake Lenexa, Olathe lake, cedar lake, Hillsdale, waterworks park and I've only caught seven crappie in about a dozen trips. Two were keepers.
    I've used slip bobbers with minnows, slip bobbers with jigs, casting jigs and I fished from depths of 2 feet to 30 feet . It seems to me that the fish are not schooled up right now but are singled out and are very very hard to catch.
    However I've heard reports of people catching 30 to 50 and even 100 crappie.
    I know that the fishing can be good right before the spawn so that's what I've been trying to do before the spawn, but Ive found the fishing to be extremely difficult and I have cappie fished a lot over the years.

Post Thanks / Like

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Happy fishing and blessings to everyone this Spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Good evening, It appears you are not lacking funds to support a fishing habit. It seems to me, the best way to "see how they're do'n it", is hire a good guide. Its not all that much money. Pick a lake you want to fish. Most good guides fish many lakes and actually enjoy helping clients. This guide should provide boat, tackle and knowledge. All you have to do is show up, pay attention to the gear, what he shares willingly, and ask questions. Well and write the check! Short of have'n a trusted friend that is a slab master, its the cheapest thing you can do to jump start your year! Either way, Good luck Man. Bill

Post Thanks / Like

That's rough fishing. I don't target them often but I've caught a few dozen this spring. Caught some really nice ones at La Cygne on a Ned Rig targeting bass this past week. All I've caught have been on the banks in very shallow water and aggressive. Sight fished several at Crystal Lake in Garnett 2 weeks ago. All dressed up and ready for the dance.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't let it get to you, welcome to spring time fishing in Kansas. Rough a lot of the time, but when you time it right Nd find the right spot its game on. So much change in weather every day make it a lot tougher. The bite came change from hot to dead in minutes and you wonder were they went. Keep at it and enjoy the time. Last 3 trips out I have 2 bites and 1 fish. Bring in summer for me.
    The Speed of a Rhino The Power of a Gazelle
    Likes springhillwantabe LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I am new to this site, but have crappie fished for many years. I have found the crappie fishing to be tough when the water levels are going down in lakes. Anyone else have a thought on this? Seems to be, when the gates are open the fish back off and are not as active?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SafeThump View Post
    I am new to this site, but have crappie fished for many years. I have found the crappie fishing to be tough when the water levels are going down in lakes. Anyone else have a thought on this? Seems to be, when the gates are open the fish back off and are not as active?
    SafeThump and Kansascrappy, you should attend the 'Camp' at Melvern.<*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER
    Likes ragnar, springhillwantabe, shortdraw LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe try Fall River up the creek. I caught 8 the other day. 7 males in the creek and a 17" female on main lake leading into the creek....all from the bank on minnows. Males were caught with minnow 12" below bobber around trees.
    Name:  IMG_5682.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  50.0 KBName:  IMG_5684.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  59.1 KB
    Last edited by railer20; 04-20-2017 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Add to comment

Post Thanks / Like

Some guys have there honey holes that they've found over the years and those holes can be good all year or only at certain times of the year. I know I have some honey holes that can get hot under the right conditions. Right now some of the lakes are dropping the water and fishing is normally not very good when they do that, but you can still catch them if you find them. The key is finding them. When they're dropping water, they will be off the banks and a little deeper suspended or scattered. Keep moving when you're fishing. Don't sit in one spot for too long. If they're not there or they're not biting move on, don't waste too much time working one spot. You'll eventually find one spot with active fish and it'll pay off. Not all crappie spawn at the same time. A few are spawning right now, but it's not wide open yet in the spots I fish anyways. A lot of guys are spider rigging and are catching them good that way because you can rig your rods to different depths and have more chances to hook up with a fish, especially if you have 2 or more guys on a boat you can have quite a few rods out at various depths and can cover a lot of water both vertically and laterally pretty quick to find where the fish are. Just another thing to try. Good luck on your next trip. As much as your fishing, your due for a wide-open bite any moment now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Chatt View Post
    SafeThump and Kansascrappy, you should attend the 'Camp' at Melvern.<*)}}}><
    Would love to have both of you come to our crappie camp next weekend at Melvern. We will have lots of food and a good time fishing at Melvern lake. Its a good time to meet other people that like to crappie fish from all over the state. Let us know if you are coming and we will add you to the list. Welcome to the sight
    Likes shortdraw LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast