Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have I lost out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Have I lost out.

The water temps are correct,daylight is adequate,just one problem....the crappie lake I fish has been super muddy for over two weeks now,and we just suffered through another 14 hrs of torrential rain.
    I'm afraid our spawning season is going to be a bust,at least the fishing part.Am I wrong in thinking the super muddy water that last for weeks will hinder the spawn? Plus how does one deal with fishing dense muddy water?
    I'm gearing up for the gill spawn,should be in another few weeks,I have other lakes to fish,but this particular lake is the best for crappie,( flooded trees,and stumps everywhere.)The other lakes have far fewer crappie,but are teeming with big gills.

Post Thanks / Like

fish slower with a noisy bait with black and lots of contrast and a crappie nibble ....the fish don't care much if the water is muddy most of time during the spawn and in some cases they even go extra shallow in the daylight due to the camo provided by the lack of clarity in the water .....
    also explore areas close to where you normally find spawners as they may have found a new area that has the right substrate for the reproduction mode
    and NEVER give up .....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Crappie like muddy water during spawn. Try 1 FOW give or take a few inches..
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Crappie like muddy water during spawn. Try 1 FOW give or take a few inches..
    Yeah ... that would be WHITE Crappie -- Black Crappie, not so much.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When Ima setting hooks, I don't ask race, color, creed, sex, or religion and etc. However, we do catch more blacks shallow here than whites during spawn no matter the water. Usta be mostly whites here. Blacks have become the dominant creature in our area. I know the general spawn rules, but the rules done moved to deeper cover.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Stained water will not keep them from spawning. I fished Eufaula where the water was very stained and caught spawners in less than 1 foot of water. I fished another lake where the water was a little clearer and caught spawners in 4 feet of water and fish one lake that is crystal clear and get spawners in 15' of water. All three lakes produced both species in the same area. I must admit that when I was younger I also thought the didn't spawn in stained water. Now I think they will not spawn only in falling or lowering water. But that's just my opinion. Best advice I could give is don't get tunnel vision.

Post Thanks / Like

Catching both black and whites in less than 2 FOW in west KY with chocolate milk for water. Decreased visibility will push them up shallow. You've only lost out if you stop fishing for them.

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Personal best caught during muddy muddy high water. Crawfish color jig!

Post Thanks / Like

This is gonna be tough for me,I never fish water as muddy as this lake,my confidence level will certainly be challenged.I use a lot of beetle spins,tipped with various plastics,will they work,or should I go another route?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast