HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lemmon today,,wind!!!

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lemmon today,,wind!!!

Went to Lemmon today and got on the lake at 7:45 am and long lined jigs till 9am putting 2--10.5 inch crappies in the box out of a dozen that I had snagged as most were 9'' or smaller releasing them. With water temps 62.5 I decided to use the 12' rods and Okuma Line Counter reels with bandits, and loaded 200;s on and picked up another 12 keepers. Wind picked up about 10am and by 11 am was in 1 to 3' whitecaps as I prefer to fish the windy banks and made for a long day of fighting the boat and keeping fish hooked on the bandits..lost 3 really nice crappies as I just couldn;t get them in the boat due to the rocking and rolling as we had 30 to 40 mph gusts. I did have 65 degree water on the windy banks and all fish came out of 5-10' depths at a speed off 1.4 to 2.0 mph when they hit. the slower the better, but boat control was unreal. Caught about 50 total releasing most as kept 14 from 10-12". Fish quit hitting about 2 and at 3pm quit. I have fished 4 times now and fought the wind trying to long line jigs and now cranks. Here's a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"
    Likes raporter, "G", Greenedog LIKED above post
    Thanks Billbob thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

went to Patoka today, late start at Osbourne on the pier couple of rock bass and nothing else except a lot of wind rocking the pier and extremely low water
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

WTG... been thinking bout getting a windmill and making the electric bill a little cheaper.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

We had a pretty good day at Patoka Friday. I was thinking Saturday afternoon I am sure glad we went Friday instead of Saturday. Came home with 10 a couple of them 10" the rest were 12" to 14." with most of them coming from the same stump. My first cast of the day netted a 15" green carp. Later we found some water that was 71 degrees and the wife caught the bragger 4.6 pound green carp. That was her biggest bass and she was really tickled with it. She wants to get it mounted if anyone knows somebody that does a good job let me know.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Likes wannabe fisherman, raporter, kyrich LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gone_fishing View Post
    We had a pretty good day at Patoka Friday. I was thinking Saturday afternoon I am sure glad we went Friday instead of Saturday. Came home with 10 a couple of them 10" the rest were 12" to 14." with most of them coming from the same stump. My first cast of the day netted a 15" green carp. Later we found some water that was 71 degrees and the wife caught the bragger 4.6 pound green carp. That was her biggest bass and she was really tickled with it. She wants to get it mounted if anyone knows somebody that does a good job let me know.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Great to hear from you. Glad you found some nice fish on Patoka. Keep the wife happy and get that fish mounted for her.

Likes Billbob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

you mite have a fishing problem cevans! lol great job on the catch!

no way my light boat could take that wind yesterday. i was test running a motor and the water pump went out on me. i was borderline in trouble as wind was over powering my trolling motor. took on water in the back several times and got wet. lol
    Likes gone_fishing LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by river scum View Post
    you mite have a fishing problem cevans! lol great job on the catch!

no way my light boat could take that wind yesterday. i was test running a motor and the water pump went out on me. i was borderline in trouble as wind was over powering my trolling motor. took on water in the back several times and got wet. lol
    My hips have severe arthritis from couple of land mine explosions when in a truck in Vietnam and I am definitely feeling it today as the meds I am taking haven't kicked in yet. I have owned a lot of boats in my life time and one of the reasons I now have a flat bottom Jon boat is the front end will keep you from getting wet from the spray when going into the waves and it's light enough to ride them as well. Didn't get wet or water into the boat but have a large bilge pump if I do take on water and due to lightness downside is, you will take a more thumping when crashing into them, but, there again it's also boat control and reading the water. The wife won't fish with me when it's windy as she easily gets motion sick as all get out. You definitely don't have to worry about any other fisherman as you have it all to yourself as you will find everybody fishing calm water. But. I picked up my nicer large fish feeding in the waves on the windy side of the bank as that their.nature to feed more so there and the wind drove all the warmer water 65 degrees to that side of the lake and the calm water had 62. When I wear the life jacket 100 percent of the time, you know I am in breakers too. Hate the wind, but you have to have alittle sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Good looking pile for sure. Waiting on a new axel for the trailer so I've been limited to the yak. I hated the wind way more than you.

Sent from my Z959 using Tapatalk
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    Good looking pile for sure. Waiting on a new axel for the trailer so I've been limited to the yak. I hated the wind way more than you.

Sent from my Z959 using Tapatalk
    only thing worse in the wind is a canoe. I also have a kayak and feel your pain. Gave the canoe up long ago too. Lots of work in either and a pita in wind. Jon boat is now my skinny water boat.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good catch Chuck
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Thanks cevans thanked you for this post