Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Me. Crappie line, ugly stick rod tip

Post Thanks / Like

Default Me. Crappie line, ugly stick rod tip

So, this year I switched all my crappie reels to mr. Crappie hi-vis line. I'm decently happy with it so far, other than the line occasionally fraying and getting weak in spots. I usually just cut it off, retie, and go on about my fishing. Well, today by chance I discovered they the eye on my favorite rod, 6'6" ugly stick has a notch in it. Now I don't know if the line caused the notch or if the notch is causing the line to fray, but either way I know something needs to change. So first off, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about getting the eye fixed, and secondly, has anyone else had this problem with the mr crappie line? I did not notice the problem a couple months ago when I was prepping for the new season.

Thanks again.

Jesse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jman5626 View Post
    So first off, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about getting the eye fixed ...
    You can cut it off and put a new one on. The whole process takes about a minute. Any tackle repair shops near you?

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on how long youve had your ugly stick i would call and see if i can get a new one or new tip. If they say no then fix it. As far as Mr. Crappie line ive used it for years but it seems like they dont make it the same. Ive switched over to vicious hi vis.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    Love, what more can I say
    Likes TN. WATERSHED, g6463, yikess LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It is a fairly simple procedure to replace a guide or tip. If you are doing the replacement yourself it is less than $10.00 if you use the most expensive materials known to man. If you are not comfortable doing the repair there should be a custom rod builder at least semi near you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    Depending on how long youve had your ugly stick i would call and see if i can get a new one or new tip. If they say no then fix it. As far as Mr. Crappie line ive used it for years but it seems like they dont make it the same. Ive switched over to vicious hi vis.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    used to be made in the U.S.A. now it's made in China or someplace. try Vicious think it's still American made
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Heat the tip with a butane lighter or pit lighter while pulling on the rod tip until it comes off. Just be careful not to let the flame touch the rod, only the tip. You can buy new tips at most sporting goods store or fishing section in big box stores. When you get the new tip you can use hot melt glue to put it on or as I do. Heat the tip and put some mono into the tip to melt. Then after putting in about 4 inches of mono, slid the tip on the rod and make sure it is lined up with the rest and cool it quickly. Simple and fast.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!
    Likes Spaceman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Me. Crappie line, ugly stick rod tip

I'll try the repair myself. I had planned on trying the vicious next. That's for all the input! Is there any way to tell if the mr.crappie line is what caused the groove in the eye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I use ceramic guides and tips, even on my ice rods. Even if you don't want to go 100% ceramic, I'd recommend you use it for the tip! They're inexpensive and well worth it. Check out the selection at Jann's Netcraft.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jman5626 View Post
    I'll try the repair myself. I had planned on trying the vicious next. That's for all the input! Is there any way to tell if the mr.crappie line is what caused the groove in the eye?
    Unless the eye is one of those cheap metal ones, and/or you've used braid with it, it's doubtful that the mono put the groove in it.

check around your local stores (bait shops, Wal-mart, etc) and look for one of these :

And take your bad tip eye with you, so you can get the proper sized replacement or one reasonably close.

These kits sell for around $7 or $8 ... and just follow the directions on the pkg.
    Likes "D", skeetbum, ozarks ranger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The Fuji tips are good, I've used them on several rods over the years and it's super easy to do at home. I have multiple Ugly Sticks and their ceramic inserts will crack if used hard, I've replaced two tips on Ugly Stik Lites that had cracks and was a reading the line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast