HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help!! BRAND new and want to experience my first good fishing outing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Help!! BRAND new and want to experience my first good fishing outing!!!

Hello All, Brand New to Crappie.com!

Okay, i am getting back into crappy fishing, its been years. My grandfather taught and took me often. I haven't been fishing since his passing years ago.

WELL, i bought a boat and a crap-ton of stuff, most of which i prolly dont need!

Lake I will be fishing is Wight Patman, in extreme NE Texas...right now depth is 14-20ft, surface water temp 70(am) to 75ish(pm) I have fished 4 times in the past week and a half with NO luck (catfish only) i am using a spinner reel, 6.6ft medium weight pole, 4lb Trilene xl, clear. I am fishing different brands and colors of jigs, single only. Haven't tried double jig set up. I have fished anywhere from 2ft to 10ft of water...lake is moderate on the clarity scale.

I am sure you will need more info to help me fine tune many of the things i am doing wrong, just ask and i will provide all the info you need!

So please treat me like i have never been fishing a day in my life and flood me with ideas and advice. I plan on fishing ALL WEEKEND!!! I am very much looking forward to all of yall advice!!

Post Thanks / Like

Depth finder? If yes, are you seeing fish? Brush? Any idea if the spawn has happened already? Predominantly black or white crappie? Are you casting, jigging, trolling?

Post Thanks / Like

Depth finder? If yes, are you seeing fish? Brush? Any idea if the spawn has happened already? Predominantly black or white crappie? Are you casting, jigging, trolling?

Hello Sir!

yes i do have a Lowrance Hook4....and i see what I think is fish. I am not sure what brush would look like on fish finder. and about the spawn, i have NO idea, how could i find that out? and I have seen only black caught so far this month. and i am casting. please explain what jigging is....and to trolling.

Thank you so much!

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, you really need to focus on learning just what structure is, where to find it and what to look for when you do find it. There's a ton of information out there that help you. First & foremost is the book entitled, "Spoonplugging" by Elwood Buck Perry. After a few reads of this treatise on structure fishing, you'll start to understand what you need to look for. (BTW, forget that it's targeted toward bass fishermen....structure is structure. The species doesn't matter, as they all relate to structure in similar fashion.)

Once you have an idea of what it is you are searching for, look closer at the structure and see if you see any clouds of baitfish around it. They will look like clouds of debris just off the structure element you are looking at. Forget about finding fish. Find bait and the fish will close behind. Once you find structure with bait on it, start casting those jigs of yours, counting down to say, "5" and fan casting the area. Then count down to "10" and repeat. You may even have to let your jig hit the bottom before starting your retrieve. Once you get a hit and/or land a fish, repeat.

The other variables of jig style, color, size, etc.. can all be worked out over time. There is no one that can tell you to do "this & that" and you will catch fish! That's why they call it fishing.....and not catching!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Thanks emtman7236 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Crestliner8!!!

Book ordered!

When looking at fish-finder for structure....am i looking for things that arent part of the normal bottom? like smooth bottom then a blob?? And once i find structure how where i know exactly where it is in relation to my boat??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emtman7236 View Post
    When looking at fish-finder for structure....am i looking for things that arent part of the normal bottom? like smooth bottom then a blob?? And once i find structure how where i know exactly where it is in relation to my boat??
    Spending a day with a good guide would really cut your learning curve. Otherwise, try hooking up with another Texas guy to show you the ropes:

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/texas/
    Likes slackline, ad1974 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Sir!

yes i do have a Lowrance Hook4....and i see what I think is fish. I am not sure what brush would look like on fish finder. and about the spawn, i have NO idea, how could i find that out? and I have seen only black caught so far this month. and i am casting. please explain what jigging is....and to trolling.

Thank you so much!
    I knew if you answered those questions, that someone more knowledgeable than me would chime in. That has happened, and will continue. Read some of Ketchun's post from Texas. That guy catches fish!

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

And....you might even ask your questions over on the Texas board
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes ad1974 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Sir!

Thank you so much!
    Oh, and as to jigging, this is what it means to me. I find a likely spot, brush, fish, bait, that shows either on my depth finder or visual (such as blowdown). I either drop the jig straight down on a longer rod, at least 8', and let it sit as still as possible. Or I may pitch a short distance and let it pendulum back under the rod tip. I use very little actual jigging action, but may raise it slightly and let it fall. If no hits, I will slllloooowwwwllllyyyy begin reeling up with pauses. As to trolling, I don't do it and would explain it terribly. Also, I am hooked on Berkeley Crappie Nibbles!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ET Fish View Post
    I knew if you answered those questions, that someone more knowledgeable than me would chime in. That has happened, and will continue. Read some of Ketchun's post from Texas. That guy catches fish!
    Correction, spelled Ketchn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast