Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snap swivel?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Snap swivel?

Lets hear it. How many of you use them? What brand and size do you like and trust the best?
    It is what it is!

Post Thanks / Like

I get the cheap mustad ones. Never had an issue with any breaking or coming unsnapped so far.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless there is a line twist issue, I hardly ever use one. When trolling cranks I use a duo lock snap, no swivel, to make changing baits easier. The duo lock is the only one I trust to not come open on a snag, and they come in black.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes shipahoy41, wilbur LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

In all the years I've been fishing, I've never used a snap swivel. Way too much hardware too close to the bait you are trying to present. I do use "snap hooks" with all my single or double jig rigs. These allow a freer movement of the jig in the water (vs. a straight tie) and facilitate quick change of jigs when needed. Here's a link to what I use:

Mustad Snap Hooks. Easily change flies without tying
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a basic hook snap (Smallest size)

Name:  Basic Rig.jpg
Views: 6245
Size:  40.9 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've started using snap swivels with a duolock snap on my crappie crankbait trolling setups because it decreases line twists associated with catfish and yellow bass.

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use snap swivels for only 2 instances. 1) to attach the drop shot rig 2) when using lip-less swimbaits such as Sliders to avoid line twist. For brands I use Danielson, Mustad, and Eagle Claw. Size= only large enough for these old abused eyes to see them.

Post Thanks / Like

I use snap swivels exclusively when Spider Rigging Double Minnow Rig or a Combination of Hook and Jig. I have all of the rigs pre-made with FC Line, ready to hook at anytime on to the snap swivel. I also bought the cheap one dollar noodle float. I cut the noodle float to fit in between the rod holders and have the pre-rigs wrapped ready to go around the noodle float, in case I break off or need to change. All I can tell you it has made my life much easier changing out rigs when needed. I remove the rigs when done at the end of the day and helps prevent pole tangles, I'm all about easy and not frustration.
    Likes JD1, skeetbum, Will_P, shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wmac62 View Post
    I use snap swivels exclusively when Spider Rigging Double Minnow Rig or a Combination of Hook and Jig. I have all of the rigs pre-made with FC Line, ready to hook at anytime on to the snap swivel. I also bought the cheap one dollar noodle float. I cut the noodle float to fit in between the rod holders and have the pre-rigs wrapped ready to go around the noodle float, in case I break off or need to change. All I can tell you it has made my life much easier changing out rigs when needed. I remove the rigs when done at the end of the day and helps prevent pole tangles, I'm all about easy and not frustration.

I concur, the snap swivel makes it so much easier when putting on a rig and Un-rigging at the end of the day. I use the C&C rigs and put them back on the Orange holders. Having the ss allows me to just reel my line tight without having to tie my line to one of my rod eyes before throwing them in my rod racks. I use the size 7 eagle claw ss's.

Post Thanks / Like

I troll crankbaits from my kayak with spinning & baitcasting tackle for crappie a lot. I found that a VMC swivel with a 3-4 foot fluorocarbon leader that terminates with a crosslock snap really helps minimize line twist and helps make switching baits faster and easier. I make up leaders ahead of time and store them wrapped around a pill bottle.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast