Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's crappie night fishing better than daytime?

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's crappie night fishing better than daytime?

I have heard coffee talk some time ago about how they use to fill a boat up with crappie night fishing? Have wanted to try it just havnt done it.yet. Does anyone have any night fishing stories to share?

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

docks with lights but fishing at night is a pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ichabod View Post
    docks with lights but fishing at night is a pain.
    Why? Because of bugs or just being darkens having to have lights.

Post Thanks / Like

I went out with a buddy a bunch of times down in NC night fishing for Crappies and we did really good.We sat up by a bridge and put out lights,and used minnows.Must of been a popular way to fish and spot down there because every time we went there was a bunch of others doing the same thing.I tried it up here in PA on the lake I normally fish and do well at, hit a couple bridges at night and didn't manage much of nothing and I used the same setup we did down in NC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker81 View Post
    Why? Because of bugs or just being darkens having to have lights.

both-- but if they're biting you can catch some nice fish.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie are very active in the dark ......during the spawn in many cases they don't come shallow until it gets dark ....one of the reasons dock shooting is so productive in the darkest spot under it is because they like this scenario .....look at the big ole owl eyes they have .....
    I like both myself and mostly hit them in the dark when it isn't buggy .....when it's warm I typically go after them in the daylight......another thing to keep in mind is that many times where they are in the daylight is where there are not when it's dark ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

now that I have my toon the water, going to rig it with underdeck lighting just for night fishing. Plus it looks really cool as well.

Post Thanks / Like

yes i have a lil over 40yrs of night fishing crappie stories. its starts, in the 70s, with a hissing lantern and orifices full of bugs they end with this last ice season,with LEDs under the ice. if you never night fished with lights you are missing out! you still have to be in the rite area. its not going to draw fish from across the lake. its not magic either, some nights they just dont want to play fair. moon can influence this big time.

go to a crappie lake, a little before dark. look (with sonar) and if possible catch a few, so you know your in the general area of what your after. set out the light when it gets dark and sooner or later the swarm of bait shows up then the crapppie just under it. on a good night you cant run three rods(legal here) or your just wasting bait. minnows on slip floats are the go to. you can catch them with other artificial baits too. jig and plastic, spoon, or jigging rapala are all great lures.

now days LED submersibles either bought or home made are the way to go. you could even strap those solar yard spot lights to the side of your boat and do just as good. one great tip i have for ya is about the bugs. as a kid, i hated eating and breathing those bugs from grandpas lantern and the smell of the citronella oil we had slathered all over us. lol the green lights dont draw the bugs like white does. use colored lights(you can use colored cling wrap on white LEDs) above water and white below. that tip is worth at least a buck. lol man those bugs!!!!!!

i hope you have great results when you try it. if not dont give up! like i said, its not magic and some nights wont help. but man when it does it does.
    Likes need2befishin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by river scum View Post
    yes i have a lil over 40yrs of night fishing crappie stories. its starts, in the 70s, with a hissing lantern and orifices full of bugs they end with this last ice season,with LEDs under the ice. if you never night fished with lights you are missing out! you still have to be in the rite area. its not going to draw fish from across the lake. its not magic either, some nights they just dont want to play fair. moon can influence this big time.

go to a crappie lake, a little before dark. look (with sonar) and if possible catch a few, so you know your in the general area of what your after. set out the light when it gets dark and sooner or later the swarm of bait shows up then the crapppie just under it. on a good night you cant run three rods(legal here) or your just wasting bait. minnows on slip floats are the go to. you can catch them with other artificial baits too. jig and plastic, spoon, or jigging rapala are all great lures.

now days LED submersibles either bought or home made are the way to go. you could even strap those solar yard spot lights to the side of your boat and do just as good. one great tip i have for ya is about the bugs. as a kid, i hated eating and breathing those bugs from grandpas lantern and the smell of the citronella oil we had slathered all over us. lol the green lights dont draw the bugs like white does. use colored lights(you can use colored cling wrap on white LEDs) above water and white below. that tip is worth at least a buck. lol man those bugs!!!!!!

i hope you have great results when you try it. if not dont give up! like i said, its not magic and some nights wont help. but man when it does it does.
    Awesome thanks a million for sharing that with me. I'd like to make my own lights. What hard light are u talking bout? Do u keep light above water? If so how deep? How many lights do u put out?

Post Thanks / Like

I've had some success at night, usually during the summer. I am a bit lazy on the "put out the lights and wait" thing. My tactic is to go to a larger, deeper water, lighted marina.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast