Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fishing rod set up

Post Thanks / Like

Default fishing rod set up

Anyone have any suggestions on the best line set up for casting to catch crappie? I usually use one of the two line set ups on the attached, but was wondering if a straight line with a #3 split shot might be a better option.

How much tackle is too much when fishing in clear or somewhat clear shallow water?

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Coderx37; 04-13-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, are you trolling, casting, vertical jigging, or something else?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, if I'm "casting" to catch Crappie .... ain't nothin on the line except the bait I'm using. None of that "extra hardware" is used, with the exception of maybe a #4 Water Gremlin removable split shot. But, even that split shot sinker is only used on my heavier action rod that has 10lb test braid on the reel ... and even then it's only used when I'm casting a light jig with it (and that's only to keep the line taut, so that it transmits the thump better).

I'm also not concerned about Crappie seeing my line ... I just want to make sure "I" see it, so I use hi-vis lines. I really don't think Crappie are "smart" enough to know what that line is, and are usually more concerned with what's on the end of it. Then again ... I don't fish lakes that are what I consider "clear" water lakes. Most lakes I fish are considered "clear" when you can see the bottom in water deeper than 3-4ft. Normally these lakes are "stained" and you're lucky to see a chartreuse jig below 2-3ft deep. But, if lo-vis lines give you confidence ... use them !!

As for your attached setup pics :

The bottom one is what I normally use for "casting" artificial baits (jigs, Roadrunners, etc.)

The top one (IMHO) is more "complicated" than it needs to be. The bobber stop/stopper knot, the slip float, a #4 Water Gremlin removable split shot, and a hook ... all on the same size line ... is a much simpler setup, and would work just as well. I really see no reason for the swivel, the bullet weight, or the smaller pound test "leader" line. And I'm definitely not a big fan of letting a minnow swim around on 18-24" of line ... especially if I'm fishing near any cover. Most distance I ever have between the weight & a hooked minnow ... is 6 inches !!

Now ... that's just me and my opinion, and I'm in no way saying that setup won't work. I just think it's a bit more "complex" in it's makeup than it needs to be.
    Likes Crestliner08, Ttexastom LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with CrappiePappy above. Like Henry David Thoreaux use to say, "Simplify.....simplify".
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 04-14-2017 at 01:08 PM. Reason: name spelling correction
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I think I'll adjust my presentation and see if the fish start hopping into the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I cast a slip bobber rig all the time. There are limits to distance, not because of the set-up, because the minnow won't survive the cast. I usually keep it to 50' and under and toss it underhand. Casting overhand tends to kill the minnow, or send it flying. If you use artificial bait, there is no limit to how far you can cast it. However your odds of getting the jig tangled greatly increases the further you try to cast it.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I cast jigs in gin clear water for crappie a lot. I use 2# test line and a section of 2# fluorocarbon leader in those waters. I won't get into an argument over whether crappie are line shy or not. I take people with me to those waters who are using 2# test..... same jig as me....... but no leader. My catch rate is double or triple theirs. They will not tie on a leader. I don't like doing it either but it works for me.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

All you guys that are using 2# and 4# line..... are you fishing open water?? I just don't see how I could go that light since I'm casting at underwater structure. I actually like to get hung and "snap" it loose cause that's when I get lots of bites

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by try'n hard View Post
    All you guys that are using 2# and 4# line..... are you fishing open water?? I just don't see how I could go that light since I'm casting at underwater structure. I actually like to get hung and "snap" it loose cause that's when I get lots of bites

I fish 2-4# regardless of how "snaggy" it is. Jigs are cheap, and I don't mind losing them. I'm convinced the advantages of light line outweigh the disadvantages.
    Likes Alphahawk LIKED above post

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just line with a jig. The only difference is I choose to use a loop knot.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast