Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Undone by the under spin.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Undone by the under spin.

I catch crappie and gills in several different lures,from cranks to jigs,and beetle spins work very well for me,but there is one lure that has me whipped......the infamous under spin .It doesn't matter if it's the pony head,or some off brand,none seem to work for me.
    I reel them slow,I reel them fast,I let them fall,I even jig them.ive tipped them with live bait,and artificial ,but they may as well be a 10 lb anchor for all they catch.Any advice for the under spin challenged ?

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That's amazing. If you are fishing where they are, ya gotta get bit! What is the water temp you are fishing in? Water clarity? What type (trailer type - paddle tail, curly tail, straight tail, marabou?) of plastic are you dressing the horseheads with?

Seems the water should be warm enough where you are (W.VA) for the spawn to have started and/or finishing, so the majority of the crappie will probably be shallow. But not knowing how/where you are fishing, that's difficult to say for sure.

My presentation this time of the year is mainly with marabou Roadrunners in the 1/16 or 1/32 oz. size. I cast them out, let them sink to the bottom, then start a slow retrieve - just enough to keep the blade rocking back & forth. If there are crappie around, ya gotta get bit!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
    I catch crappie and gills in several different lures,from cranks to jigs,and beetle spins work very well for me,but there is one lure that has me whipped......the infamous under spin .It doesn't matter if it's the pony head,or some off brand,none seem to work for me.
    I reel them slow,I reel them fast,I let them fall,I even jig them.ive tipped them with live bait,and artificial ,but they may as well be a 10 lb anchor for all they catch.Any advice for the under spin challenged ?
    If you catch fish with everything else, why worry about the one that isn't working for you?
    Likes footballcoach LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

are you making your pony heads ? Never had a problem with road runners or beetle spins . Sliders or baby shads from BG are my go to baits . looking for some trout magnet bodies now .

Post Thanks / Like

i fish them almost exclusively when longline trolling. But there are times when fish will not eat them. Certain lakes are not as productive for them, no idea why, but as was stated before, if they don't work on a certain lake, shy away from them. Keep them in the arsenal, they may be the only thing that will produce a bite at times
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've rigged them with every sort of plastic,to no avail.I may fish them wrong, but I would think this blind hog would stagger onto an acorn sometime.
    To answer why I want to catch something on an roadrunners is because I can't.The crappie spawn is starting up,if I can't catch some on them , I may be forced to give all 200 I have away, but you all have given me the inspiration to keep slinging them until I succeed.

Post Thanks / Like

May try tying them on under a bobber, may help slow down the retrieve enough while keeping the lure in the strike zone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All I can add is that a spin isn't necessary. The blade flopping back and forth is enough to trigger a bite. But I also agree that they aren't the magic bullet and don't always catch fish. I have used curl tails most of my fishing life, but there are days I would go hungry using them. Put on a straight tail and here we go. I wouldn't give them away just yet. Trolling longline they are always in my spread. They do run a bit shallower from the drag of the blade and may need to go bigger or longer line.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes MO' MONEY LIKED above post