Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Burning cedar needles

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Burning cedar needles

I have seen several recommendations here that you need to wait till all the needles fall off or burn them off cedar trees before you sink them. I cut some around Christmas and have left them lying in my yard. I finally gave up on the needles falling off and decided to burn them today. I don't know whether they were too dry, too close together, the wind was too high or all of the above, but I not only burned all the needles off them, but also burned all the limbs off all but 2 of them. I'm now assuming that you need to burn them when they are green or fresh cut, but I was wondering how you do it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty shure that the needles won't catch when they're green, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Default WRONG needles go up fast

Quote Originally Posted by Team_RamRod
    I'm pretty shure that the needles won't catch when they're green, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
    WRONG!!!!!!!
    The needles will burn very fast. Just look at some of the videos of the western forest fires where there are evergreen trees. They go up like a torch.

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey blairarnold, you probably should have waited a little while longer the needles would have fallen off. Even if you would have put them in the water with the brown needles it would not have hurt anything. They still would have came off after a while then the sets would have been there. I think the only reason people want the needles off is because with them on it is to thick of cover, and the fish won't swim in between the limbs as much. With the needles off the fish can get in around the trunk of the tree easier. Some people even go as far a trimming a few limbs out of the way.

Just mt 2 cents.

Crappie X.
    IL board Moderator