HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Action

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Action

Do you all like a stiffer rod action for jigging.I tried one out the other day and liked it pretty well.I just wondered what makes you guys like.The one i tried was a Bonehead.Really feel the bite better.
    Share the outdoors with our Children.The world will be a better place.
    Thanks Cray thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

My jigging rod is a BnM Bucks Best ultralite bottom reel seat 11footer. I can feel a crappie fart on that rod. I love it.
    Likes bowhunter63, 20watt LIKED above post

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smith2013 View Post
    My jigging rod is a BnM Bucks Best ultralite bottom reel seat 11footer. I can feel a crappie fart on that rod. I love it.
    That must have been you next boat over from me. I could smell them biting!
    Likes bowhunter63, ad1974, Blackhawk19 LIKED above post

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I mostly prefer medium light but sometimes I will go to light just for the fun of the tug.
    Likes bowhunter63 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 10ft bgjp and like it,sensative and light.I also have the bucks best ultralight,if a fish hits you better set the hook real hard or the fish will get off at the boat.The bucks best ultralight is light,light action and I believe that's why you got to set the hook so hard,but I like it also.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    Likes bowhunter63 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

For vertical jigging I like a custom St Croix 3SW70LM which is a SCIII light power medium action 7' one piece rod blank. Admittedly it takes a lot of time to build your own rods but the results are well worth it. I been build rods for about 32 years now and have quite a collection of custom rods. One of the most important steps in winding up with a very sensitive rod is that you do NOT follow the example given in the Mudhole Components commercials in glueing on the reel seat.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite jigging rod is the B n' M SHSS in 7' length. Has plenty of back bone, yet casts 1/32 oz. jigs with ease. I have no idea what the rod is rated for. It just "feels" good to me when jigging.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 9' ultra light with micro guides that I built for tight line jigging but I not normally in heavy cover.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk19 View Post
    I use a 9' ultra light with micro guides that I built for tight line jigging but I not normally in heavy cover.
    I have a couple of 9' rods that I use for drift fishing and jigging. I do have a problem when casting with them. Is it just a "learning curve" or is there a specific technique you use to cast with them?
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

If the 9' rods are fitted with Fly Rod guides or very small guides that would account for having difficulty casting them with a spinning reel. The line is slapping the rod between the first and second guide and the reel which causes friction and greatly limits casting distance. If it has standard spinning guides then it is a learning curve. If you are using a bait casting reel the small guides should not make a difference. The two guides closest to the reel seat can be replaced with standard spinning rod guides to solve the problem. After carefully removing the guides the original guides tape the new guides in place and cast with a small weight (the weight you fish with) in your yard. You will notice that adjusting the guides up or down the rod will greatly enhance or degrade casting distance. When you have the guides "tuned" correctly then mark their position then permanently install the guides. I would suggest a 30mm and a 20mm guide as replacement guides although you may have to go with a 25mm and a 20mm and possibly add a 16mm to solve the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast