HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Having no luck at LOZ

Post Thanks / Like

Default Having no luck at LOZ

Hey guys I have been fishing every free moment I have, however I have had no luck with the crappie. I mainly use minnows, have the best luck with them. Is it just me or do you all have some advise on where I can find the crappie!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishinggirl911 View Post
    Hey guys I have been fishing every free moment I have, however I have had no luck with the crappie. I mainly use minnows, have the best luck with them. Is it just me or do you all have some advise on where I can find the crappie!!
    hey fishingirl...I don't fish there anymore...so i'm not hotspotting....but if I were going there tomorrow morning, id try to 2 things...if you have a boat...

1. get a bare brass wire hook(eagle claw 1/0), with a small bit of split shot (bb size) or less and a bobber(I like short fat thill bobbers but any small ones will do). set the weight 5 inches above the hook, hook the minnow through the skin In the back by dorsal fin(don't hit the spinal cord) very gently and put that 24" under the bobber and throw shallow around docks, gravel banks, around stumps, cover, in back half of coves..just let that minnow swim and do his thing...id start up in the coves around gravois mills.

2. get some jigs or Blakemore stump jumpers (1/8 oz r 1/16th oz) and toss around those same shallows.

if you don't have a boat and are just fishing around your house...try the closest cove..and remember no trespassing on docks or peoples land.

I'm guessing you will get the hang of it very quickly this week!

Good luck!
    Thanks fishinggirl911 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tell us what part of the lake you are fishing.

Hogsters phone
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys!! Thanks for the advise! We have live on the water and have a dock on the grand glaze arm. We moved there in October last year and I don't believe there are any crappie beds, which I plan to remedy. I usually fish off the dock with minnows, don't usually use a bobber. I fished all weekend and caught 5. I sure don't want to miss spawning. I am also worried because I have no crappie beds that I wont catch anything. I do have a jon boat but its set up for the river and not the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishinggirl911 View Post
    Hey guys!! Thanks for the advise! We have live on the water and have a dock on the grand glaze arm. We moved there in October last year and I don't believe there are any crappie beds, which I plan to remedy. I usually fish off the dock with minnows, don't usually use a bobber. I fished all weekend and caught 5. I sure don't want to miss spawning. I am also worried because I have no crappie beds that I wont catch anything. I do have a jon boat but its set up for the river and not the lake.
    perfect, get back in those coves and look for that cover described above. start with coves on north side as they'll warm sooner60-65 degrees is money!!. they will be spawning all over those shallows cast within a foot or 2 of the banks, let that minnow pull that bobber around and then reel back real slow. you will be amazed how shallow they can be. Warning, this kind of fishing is very addictive. there are a lot of guys and girls in big fancy rigs who wait all year for this style of fishing....its their fav style of fishing ..takes us back to being kids with no worries...you don't have to worry about "crappie beds" just find the cover, that's a fabulous crappie fishery.

good luck.
    Likes Hogster1 LIKED above post
    Thanks fishinggirl911 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Spot on. The Glaize arm is a good fishing arm with lots of lay downs and gravel banks. Just get back in the coves and start pitching the banks around anything laying in the water and you will find them. I personally am a jig fisherman but minnows are good also. Either one about 18 inches under a bobber is killer this time of year.
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.