Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Xterra

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nissan Xterra

Who has or had one? Problems with it? Was it your daily driver, tow rig?
    My boat weighs 2000#, full load. My current vehicle is a Ford escape, v6, front wheel drive. 3500# tow rating. I'm not impressed. Seems like 2-3 times a month a check engine light is on, not long enough to get in the shop. Getting annoying.
    Drinkin coffee, missin fish.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a GMC jimmy with a 4.3 that pulled a glass bass boat well but was a bit skinny over 65. I'd have another. Mine had a tow package and rode stiff but did very well on ramps.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.
    Would be a used one, probably a '11-'14 model.
    Drinkin coffee, missin fish.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter has a 96 pathfinder 4 wheel drive. Never pulled anything with it but would feel comfortable doing so. Been a very good reliable vehicle. Friend has a ex terra in the range you are looking for. He had the radiator fail internally and pumped antifreeze into tranny. Guy who replaced his transmission told him he had replaced several from that problem so I would check and ask questions if I found one I really liked. Would not use one that didn't come with factory tow package.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Those VQ engines also have a problem with the timing chains, they used cheap plastic boots on the timing chain tensioners and they will wear down and eventually fail causing metal to metal contact. Costs in the neighborhood of $1500 to fix and if you don't, your timing chain will eventually fail and possibly take your motor with it.
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I was a nissan technician for several years before moving to CAT equipment. The older pathfinders were great vehicles the only thing to remember is to replace the timing belt every 100k. When they came out with the new models they went to a v6 with timing chains instead of belts and the engines are very very stout. The biggest issue with them is what cray is talking about the transmission cooler is built into the radiator and would crack inside the radiator pumping antifreeze into the transmission and damaging it. If you caught it early enough you could change the fluid a couple times and be ok. Other than that and a couple of fuel pumps we really didnt do alot of work on them. Very well built rides in my opinion with tons of power.
    Likes Woodworker42 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigKyd View Post
    Those VQ engines also have a problem with the timing chains, they used cheap plastic boots on the timing chain tensioners and they will wear down and eventually fail causing metal to metal contact. Costs in the neighborhood of $1500 to fix and if you don't, your timing chain will eventually fail and possibly take your motor with it.
    This was mostly on the 3.5 v6 engines and a few of the 4.0 in the frontier and xterra and pathfinder.

Post Thanks / Like

Had one for a few years and was alright. But one of the thirstiest vehicles I have owned. Only the Titan drank more than the Exterra. 2 wheel drive and got 13 in town if driven very easily and maybe 15 on hwy if careful.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2000 Toyota 4runner that has 238k miles on it. It hauls all I need it to and I am confident that it will continue to for several years.

Post Thanks / Like

Very strong v6 and built on a truck frame. I pulled a 21' glass deep v with one and it was fine. That 2k boat will be a cakewalk. Mileage is bad though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast