HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drift socks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drift socks

Wanting to go from dragging a chain to using a drift sock. I get tired of going to the back to adjust the chain. But I have a couple questions. I have a 17 ft bass tracker. What size drift sock do I need in say 15-20 mph wind with gusts at maybe 25? Also, is it better to pull 1 big sock or 2 smaller ones?

Post Thanks / Like

In those winds good luck. I just bought 2 of the biggest socks academy sells and tried them this weekend. They would not slow the boat below .7 mph in 15 mph wind. Had to drive back to the ramp and drag out the chains

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have bass tracker pro 17 and I use 2 medium socks. 10-15 mph winds I am good but over that I drag a chain also. I tie one on each side of boat. Tie front sock line at front with a dump line on it tied to back of boat with lil slack in line. Seems like it helped when I put a float on top rim of sock. Keeps it open all time and don't gotta worry bout it getting hung in somthing. I ran them off back of boat a while and when I put them on the side it made a difference.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever the manufacturers size recommendation is for your size boat, increase it one or two sizes more. Then buy a second one for each end of the boat. That'll do you for maybe a 10 - 15 mph breeze. Anything more than that your expectations will go out with the wind! . In my opinion, wind socks work best in lighter breezes (<15 mph) and to control boat positioning with respect to structure. They are definitely not a panacea.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I'll just keep dragging a chain. This seems like more money than reward. Anything under 15 mph and I just nose in to the wind and run against it.
    Thanks CoryA thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smith2013 View Post
    Guess I'll just keep dragging a chain. This seems like more money than reward. Anything under 15 mph and I just nose in to the wind and run against it.
    that's what I do. wind over 15mph and I'm outta there. more trouble than it's worth for me to fight it.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

amish outfitters have big and strong socks, top quality stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Get the biggest you can possibly find. Mine are black canvas 77" from Cabela's and they work fine. Be sure you keep a knife handy in case the back of your boat starts to go under in that kind of wind.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Likes TomTom1, Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

15 mpg...time to go to the coffee shop...

Post Thanks / Like

20 mph...time to go to the coffee shop...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast