HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendations on under spin reel for son.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need recommendations on under spin reel for son.

I bought my boy a newer ugly stick gx2 and the rod is fantastic!
    I wanted to get him an under spin reel so the tradition to spinning would be simple.
    The reel I have on there now was nice little compact zebco.
    But the thing is garbage! I have had so much trouble with that thing. It makes it hard for him to cast n fish. Poor guy I thought it was him. Then I kept trying and no wonder he was having trouble. I couldn't get it to work right half time.
    The reel gear are awful n rough and I even tried thin super line to see if I could get better performance. But it didn't help.

I need to get Him a new one. Any suggestions on a underspin that would complement a 4.5 ft ugly stick. And one that will hold up?
    Thanks in advance!
    Thanks jackie53 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smoltz View Post
    I need to get Him a new one. Any suggestions on a underspin that would complement a 4.5 ft ugly stick. And one that will hold up?
    I would go with a Daiwa or Abu, but don't get your hopes up. The words "quality" and "underspin" aren't often used in the same sentence. Underspins are basically disposable reels.

1) Underspin -- push a button

2) Spinning -- flip the bail

If your son can handle #1, I would think he could handle #2.
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I was wanting to get into underspin reels. I watched a zebco on ebay that went 3 2 week ads without a bid. At the end I offered half plus shipping. After it shipped I asked the seller about it. I know nothing about reels. I bought it at a carport sale and thought it would bring good money. After it arrived I put it on a rod to try it. All kinds of issues, wouldn't release, may release 5 to 15 feet, wouldn't catch the line to reel in, may catch the line, may catch the line a few times while reeling. I contacted the seller. Yep, you know nothing about reels. This one will go to my junk box for parts. He refunded all of my money.
    I bought 4 10ft Shakespeare Crappie Hunter combos at an auction with the CHMS reel @ $10 and 4 4.5 combos with the micro series reel @ $10 online. It seems I grab the same 10 ft rod everytime I go fishing. It's on the 7th respooling and the gears are starting to be noisy. I use the cheap 4# line from walmart.
    Likes jp2 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of inexpensive, good quality regular open faced reels out there. B n' M, Mr. Crappie, and more. Browse Grizzly Jig online and you see what I mean. If he can cast, he can learn to use an open spinning reel with ease. My youngest grandkids use them with more proficiency than even I can sometimes! Kids are GREAT!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha.
    Maybe I will try him then on a standard spinning reel. Try in yard today. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I went through the underpin era hen my kids were young,thinking the open face would be too difficult for them.After a couple years of fighting with under spins,I let them try open face reels,what a difference it was,even my wife mastered the open face within 10 min.
    I suggest open face,if nothing more than they don't seem to have the typical problems of closed faced reels,things like line not releasing when button or trigger is pushed,dirt getting down the hole and causing line release problems.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I must be a dummy. I still use closed face reels.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes jackie53, canebreaker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If he wants to fish bad enough he will learn to use it.
    If not, it wont matter what you buy him.
    When I was a kid there were no training wheels for bikes, but all kids rode bikes.
    Today, very few kids ride bikes. Around here they all ride fancy golf carts. lol
    But wait, there goes one by the house now on a bike, accompanied by a man on another bike.
    But it does have training wheels. You know what? I think they both have training wheels.
    Would you like me to ask him If he wants a closed face reel?

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We take a lot of never fished before kid's,adults fishing.that being said we use spinning reels.that being said we run into folks that cannot use them for whatever reason!!Like this computer I am typing on not all can use "adults"LOL" kid's yes.If you want to stay in the closed face "Reels.We like the zebco 33 Classic's line of under spin's and the 33 classic it self with matching rod "cannot beat" .Keep them rigged for those who cannot use spinning reels.a little more costly."If one goes over board"or left behind"LOL.The higher end under spin's pretty good quality!!Better components or gears.Our two cents
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.
    Likes Slabprowler LIKED above post

Slabprowler is online now Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally don't like the action on a push button reel but I know several folks that use the omega reels.they are pricey but you get what you pay for.
    Likes jackie53 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast