Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: One armed guys fishing story

Post Thanks / Like

Default One armed guys fishing story

Hey all this is all about fishing stories so I thought I would throw mine in. Here in Paducah we have a pretty good Fella named Fred Stice. Many years ago he was working on a telephone pole where he was electricuted. He lost his left arm and nearly one of his legs but they were able to save that. Well needless to say I have a lot of respect for this man because he has never let this get him down and is one heck of a good mechanic on vehicles. Anyway we were all setting around one day talking about how big our fish was that we had caught. You know how you stick your hands out and show the measurement. Well he said I have a better fish story than that. He stuck his one hand out and said I caught a fish this big. Well there was no other hand there to finish the measurement. He got a kick out of that. One other story on the old guy before I close is when we both worked for the Texas Prison System we were at inservice in Amarillo, Texas. The instructor was trying to explain how to picture looking thru the rear sights of the AR15. He said that you take both hands and use the index finger and thumb on one hand and the same on the other hand and put them together and thats what the rear sight circle of the AR15 looked like. All of a sudden you heard "SIR, SIR" The instructor asked what the problem was. Well Mr. Stice was holding his one hand up and said I have a serious problem. The instructor asked him what it was. He said "Well I can only see half a circle" Well as you probably figured we had to go on break after that. Nobody could stop laughing. Hes a good sport and a better guy.
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911

Post Thanks / Like

you gotta love people who can laugh at themselves and overcome such adversity I can relate. He must be one hell of a guy

Post Thanks / Like

He is a pretty good fella
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of respect for an individual that over come a physical handicap.
    It really tell you about them. good story

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

When I was younger, I had an affliction called racing. I used hang around an engine shop and every once in a while I would do some of my own machining. One of the employees there lost a hand in a sprint car wreck and had a hook device that he could clamp stuff in. I was so "involved" one day with some heads on his lathe, I didn't notice he had slipped up behind me. He lit a firecracker and held it near my butt with that claw! That will make you say some worty dirds.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, not a fishing story, but this sure does remind me of a story
    told to me when I was a kid - seems this relative of mine on my Mom's
    side, I forget the exact relation, was a old bachelor man, had lost an arm
    in the war I think - he was wringing out the wash on the back porch with
    one of those old wringer washers, got his one good hand caught in it
    Story goes, he hollered till a neighbor woman down the road heard him
    and came let him out. I got my hand in one of those myself, they had one
    in the car wash bay to wring out chamois clothes at the dealership my Dad
    worked at - even with two hands, I had no idea how to get out of this thing
    that was EATING ME ALIVE! Dad came and hit the release bar and let me out,
    thought it was real funny :D
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Back about 40 years ago worked in fab shop as a tack welder,the fitter I worked with was a big cut up he lost his left hand in hunting accident had one hook that worked for everday and one that he had welded up and ground down so he could hold parts while I welded them.He was all the time sticking me in the but with it,I got tired of it while he was holding angle clip to weld to bar joist I welded his hook down and made him miss morning break.

Post Thanks / Like

My best buddy is in the same shape and has NEVER thought of himself as handicapped. He ain't much with a chainsaw or on a ladder, but anything else, you better watch out. He actually THRASHED me the one and only time I played golf with him. lol

aj

Post Thanks / Like

My Dad was like that. He was in a really serious accident with the state in 93 and lost his left hand just above the wrist, and his left leg just above the knee. Toughest old fart you'd ever know though. Never even slowed him down with fishing. Many a night was spent rolling him around soft pond and lake banks doin' some catfishin. Always the cut up too. We had someone coming up to our fishing spot to talk with us about something one time and he'd just caught a cat about 4 lbs or so. without missing a beat, he unhooked the cat, put his stump in it's mouth and turned his wheelchair around to face the guy yelling "RUN FOR YOUR LIVES ! ! THEY"RE OUT FOR BLOOD ! ! ". The guy just turned tail and ran back up the bank. I don't think I'd ever laughed harder before or since then. He was also an avid snagger with spoonbill at Chetopah in Ks. He'd find his way down to a little flat rock by the river, plob down on his butt, take his 9 ft surf rod and sling that hook darn near clean across the river, the hold the pole in the crook of his arm and lean back, reel in, lean back, reel in. He could go for hours like that. I can't hardly take a good hour of snagging like that, I have no idea how he ever did it. Simply amazing man. Dad passed away almost four years ago now. Ended up losing a battle with cancer. Not a fishing day goes by without me thinking about him. Lotsa good times there.

SS

Post Thanks / Like

Great story there SlabSniper. Sounds like a great memory!
    CATCH A BIG-UN