Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Still Haveing Trim and Tilt problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Still Haveing Trim and Tilt problems

On my last post I had a few replies but I still can't figure it out. Most of the replies said to check my fluid level. I can find no where on the trim and tilt section where I can check the fluid level. It is a 1993 48hp Johnson and all that I see in this area is 2 screws. One is small and the other right beside it is large flat headed. I can find no where else in the area of the tandt area to whre I can check this fluid. Someone PLEASE help. I can't afford a mechanic now. Thank you and GOD bless.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what you problem is, but I must have the same t&t on my 96 merc 40hp. My trim won't keep the unit up for very long, maybe 10 minutes. I have a small phillips screw on top of the unit, and the large flat head that's on the lower part of the unit.

Maybe we can both get some assistance.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you just call johnson up and ask them, I bet they would tell you what to look for.
    can't catch'em at home

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tilt and Trim

On my 50 horse Merc. there is a sort of purple looking plastic screw that you unscrew to check the fluid. It sort of sticks out about a 1/2 inch so you could actually unscrew it with a screwdriver or plyers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LRM58
    On my 50 horse Merc. there is a sort of purple looking plastic screw that you unscrew to check the fluid. It sort of sticks out about a 1/2 inch so you could actually unscrew it with a screwdriver or plyers.
    Is it on the bottom of the trim unit? I may have to take a picture of my T&T to post on here.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you post some pictures of your tilt cylinder?

Does the problem fix itself on warm days? My thinking is you may need to drain and replace the old oil. It may be freezing if there's water in it or it may just thicken up when it's cold.

Post Thanks / Like

its the big flat screw.
    check fluid when tilt trim cylinders are fully extended.
    add omc power tilt/trim or gm dexron II as needed to bring
    level to bottom of fill plug threads
    loosely install fill plug cycle unit in ten second spurts add fluid as needed a mimimum of five complete cycles is required to purge air from system
    ~ sticko ~

Post Thanks / Like

I had problems with my trim to only go down and not up. Its the relay switch. It only cost me $12 for a relay from our local NAPA store. Locate a box on the back of your motor. There should be 2 square switches next to each other. One for up and other for down. Switch the two around and see if it will go up and not down. Just make sure you tighten the screws you used to raise the trim manually first.

Post Thanks / Like

You should have a o ring on the end of the manual release valve.If this o ring is bad it will let your motor slowly leak off.The manual release valve should be the big screw located near the bottom.You can unscrew it and the o ring will be on the end of it.It is like this on a merc anyway....I hope this helps you ...

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ky-slabseeker
    You should have a o ring on the end of the manual release valve.If this o ring is bad it will let your motor slowly leak off.The manual release valve should be the big screw located near the bottom.You can unscrew it and the o ring will be on the end of it.It is like this on a merc anyway....I hope this helps you ...
    Those manual relief valves are a common source of problems. If not tight or if the "O" rings get hard over the years the motor will slowly drop down after being raised.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va