HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I saw something scary today......

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I saw something scary today......

.......while pulling cranks on KY Lake. One of my clients, a 11 year old girl, hooked a decent fish and had it coming to the boat. It didn't surface like a crappie so we assumed it was a white bass or something similar. When I got it in the net, I realized it was a silver carp about 16 inches long. So far nothing scary but when I went to get the hook out of it, the hook was inside its mouth just like it had hit the crankbait to feed on it!! Asian carp are supposed to be filter feeders and not competing with game fish. This fish for all intents and purposes looked like it had hit the bait and had the entire rear hook buried inside its mouth. We were fighting high winds and boat control was tough. I took the fish loose, ripped its gills out and tossed it back it. Instantly I want to kick my own butt for not taking some pictures before I unhooked it.

I hope this was all a coincidence and this fish was not actively feeding on minnows and baitfish like the crappie. If it was, we are facing a whole another can of worms with these invasive Asian carp.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Thanks Spaceman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully the crank got to close to its personal space and it was merely defending itself. Reaction strike. If it starts happening on the regular then you know they are feeding.

Post Thanks / Like

I caught a Silver below the Barkley Dam while casting a BIG spoon and he was hooked in the mouth. I think the line was across his mouth when I was jerking and reeling. Two others that day were snagged in the back or dorsal.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Them critters need to go away
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a reaction strike to me. Similar to why shad hit jigs during their spring spawning run up the rivers. They don't eat period during this spawning cycle, but they strike anyway.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    .......while pulling cranks on KY Lake. One of my clients, a 11 year old girl, hooked a decent fish and had it coming to the boat. It didn't surface like a crappie so we assumed it was a white bass or something similar. When I got it in the net, I realized it was a silver carp about 16 inches long. So far nothing scary but when I went to get the hook out of it, the hook was inside its mouth just like it had hit the crankbait to feed on it!! Asian carp are supposed to be filter feeders and not competing with game fish. This fish for all intents and purposes looked like it had hit the bait and had the entire rear hook buried inside its mouth. We were fighting high winds and boat control was tough. I took the fish loose, ripped its gills out and tossed it back it. Instantly I want to kick my own butt for not taking some pictures before I unhooked it.

I hope this was all a coincidence and this fish was not actively feeding on minnows and baitfish like the crappie. If it was, we are facing a whole another can of worms with these invasive Asian carp.
    We have caught a couple in the mouth before while Sauger fishing on the river, the way they were hooked made us think it was trying to eat our baits , but they were thick where we was fishing and it could have inhaled by accident......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Me and my son were striper fishing below Barkley a few years ago, we caught 8 of em on large minnows, none of em were foul hooked, all in the mouth.

Post Thanks / Like

I just locked down through Kentucky Lock this morning and there had to be 300 in the chamber with us. The wound up all over our tug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Deck Officer/2nd Engineer - M/V Saint Charles.
    2004 Tracker 17.5' Panfish
    Tite-lok rod holders - PST and BGJP rods
    I fish, therefore I am!

Post Thanks / Like

they say they eat really well, never tried them and probably never will.I've had to many of those stinking things in my boat at Tunica.

BIGBADDAD is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been seeing bigheads of 12 to 15 inches just slowly cruising under the surface of the water. Touched it with a pole it was so close to the boat....also had a loon come up inside my rig tips...he hauled butt out of there real quick!!
    http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac178/BIGBADDAD/birdpooavatar.gif

www.kicknbass.net

Arkie Jigs Prostaff
    Todd Huckabee Rods Prostaff
    HiTec Outdoors Prostaff
    ESB Prostaff
    SteelShad Prostaff
    Jenko Fishing Prostaff