Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Minnows

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnows

This is probably a really dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway at risk of getting laughed off the forum. Will minnows keep in the plastic bag from the bait shop with oxygen added, overnight? There's a fish farm that sells them much cheaper by the pound than buying by the dozen at a bait shop on the way to the lake. I just don't want to buy them only for them all to be dead when I leave in the morning. Supposed to be in the mid 40's tonight here and thought I'd leave them in the garage to keep them cool. Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't been able to buy them like that since the early 80's but if I remember correctly we keep them in a cooler with a little ice overnight. Maybe someone can shed a little more light on this.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've kept them alive overnight in my refrigerator (bagged w/O2) ... I've also carried them "bagged" in the boat livewell for a couple of hours on the road ... and I've carried them for a 4.5hr trip out of state (bags in coolers).

I've always bagged them with 1/2lb minnows per bag ... with the bag around 3/4 full of water, and the O2 pumped in til the bag was tight, twisted the top of the bag tight & then folded that over and put two heavy rubber bands around it as tight as possible.

No guarantees, though ... as I've not bought minnows bagged w/O2 for over 20yrs.

Post Thanks / Like

They should be good overnight. We get them in bags when we go to Canada and they keep overnight.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes they will.......done it several times

Post Thanks / Like

Will keep for a pretty long time (I have kelp them for a couple of days before from a bait farm) and the oxygen keeps them pretty cool also. The bait farm should be able to tell you how long they well last also.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely yes. More complicated in the summer in Texas where you would have to add some ice to the water that you are sitting the bags in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Got my minnows for tomorrow. I've trolled a bunch, but always with jigs, and have single poled minnows a bunch but never trolled with them. Going to try trolling double minnow rigs tomorrow for the first time. Hopefully I will catch a few.
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post