Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye appeal?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Eye appeal?

Is there a preferred minnow for catching crappie ? One of our local bait shops sell minnows he catches locally'they are fairly dull colored.Im not sure what breed they are,but I'm thinking there may be better varieties ( eye appeal ) than the mud hole minnows he sells.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Most sell either Fathead minnows or Shiners ... but, sometimes Bluntnose or Rosey Red minnows can be had (depending on regional location).

Which variety your man is selling could depend on if he's getting them out of a creek or pond ... and if they're native to your waters or bought from a wholesaler (fish farm).

I "believe" that the Fathead minnow is probably the most used minnow sold through "baitshops" that are supplied by fish farms.
    Likes ozarks ranger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The baitshop here only sells Fatheads and 2 sizes of Shiners.I get the Fatheads,they are cheaper and seem to work pretty good.I saw a video on YouTube where they were putting this dye into a bucket and coloring their minnows.It didn't seem to harm the minnows at all and they were bright chartreuse and blue when they were done.I'm not sure how much of a difference the color makes on livebait but it was a interesting video.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

We use shiners here in Mississippi.....they come from bait farms in Arkansas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ad1974 View Post
    The baitshop here only sells Fatheads and 2 sizes of Shiners.I get the Fatheads,they are cheaper and seem to work pretty good.I saw a video on YouTube where they were putting this dye into a bucket and coloring their minnows.It didn't seem to harm the minnows at all and they were bright chartreuse and blue when they were done.I'm not sure how much of a difference the color makes on livebait but it was a interesting video.
    I would be very interested to hear more about this minnow coloring idea. Has anyone else seen or heard of this??
    Or have a link to the video?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I believe I've been purchasing fat head minnows,( I will trap my own from this day forth) I would like to try shiners,I'm checking another bait shop tomorrow to see if they sell them.I was curious if emerald shiners were better, same,or not as good as fat heads,it is opinions I know,but courious none the less.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jman5626 if you go to YouTube just type in bait dye in the search box and a bunch of videos will pop up.I would do a link thing but I don't know how.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ad1974 View Post
    Hey Jman5626 if you go to YouTube just type in bait dye in the search box and a bunch of videos will pop up.I would do a link thing but I don't know how.
    Thanks. This looks awesome! I'm Gona try it at some point

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jman5626 View Post
    Thanks. This looks awesome! I'm Gona try it at some point

Many years ago I did this. They came out looking like goldfish. I seem to remember it was just food coloring.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
    I believe I've been purchasing fat head minnows,( I will trap my own from this day forth) I would like to try shiners,I'm checking another bait shop tomorrow to see if they sell them.I was curious if emerald shiners were better, same,or not as good as fat heads,it is opinions I know,but courious none the less.
    I haven't found Shiners to be "better" than Fathead minnows. They are, however, the only choice in some cases, like when the minnow "dealer" (usually a marina) doesn't carry anything else.

I've found them to be less hardy (die quicker/easier) on the hook or in the bucket. Also found them to be "softer" ... allowing for damage to them by simple handling, and/or dying or coming off the hook easier.

I think their biggest "draw" is that they are often present in the waters where they're being sold, and that makes them "subject" to the idea that fish recognize them as their natural food source.

They are usually higher in price than "other" minnow species, when/where those other minnow species are also available for sale.

This is just my experiences & opinion ... from a limited amount of experience with Shiners as bait. Others may disagree, in accordance with their own experiences.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast