HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Releasing big fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Releasing big fish

In this months issue of crappie now online the writer in his opening cast article talks about releasing fish 14 inches and larger because these fish are the main producers of future. Anyone know of any studies on which size fish are the most productive. I know no one can tell others what to keep or release. Most crappie fishermen keep fish to eat and I do to. I did release my personal best 3lb 3 oz, do I wish it was on the wall, sometimes. I now know you can take pictures and people will make you one just like the real thing. I eat a lot of fish but the 11 to 13 inch fish and release anything over 2lb. Don't want to start a debate just any knowledge of big fish and reproduction.
    Thanks Jman5626, PDog thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good question. I have heard same thing before.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I just had this discussion with a guide! He said the fish don't live more than 6 yrs so take them home! He said the next guy will if you don't! I think I believe him! I won't put anything on the wall, no matter how big!
    Likes maxwell328, Ttexastom LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That's good to know. Thanks I figured they would get pretty old. I saw pic of one other day caught in Santee that was 7 lbs 4 oz. I'd have to mount that sucker. Don't know were Santee is at or if it was really true. Just saying though. This is what I saw.

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I have read where they only live 6-8 yrs .not sure on the facts. my thoughts are as you Gene turn them big uns back . It's such a great feeling to turn a big un back and watch it swim off .u ought to try it some time .it can get addictive !
    Likes steve64116 LIKED above post
    Thanks MO' MONEY thanked you for this post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

"Santee" is in South Carolina (Lake Moultrie & Lake Marion) .... commonly called Santee Cooper Lake.

Post Thanks / Like

FWC biologist told me that the 10" - 12" fish are the most productive spawners in Florida waters.
    Likes Jman5626 LIKED above post

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of interesting info in this thread by KY Fish and Wildlife biologist Paul Rister discussing female harvest, creel limits, size limits, pole limits, etc

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/kentu...barkley-lakes/

An excerpt from 1 of the biologist's posts ...: (Note: Paul's 200,000 is estimated KY Lake total crappie harvest for 1 year) ...

[QUOTE] Think of the spawning this way. I once did a fecundity study on crappie, I counted eggs in females. The average number of eggs was, for all sizes and both species, was around 112,000. For this example, I am going to use 50,000 eggs (conservatively low). Let’s say that only 1% of the eggs produced by one female eventually makes it to a harvestable size crappie. So from that 50,000 (eggs) only 500 make it to an adult. Also in my original post I mentioned the average annual harvest of crappie, but for this example, I will round up to 200,000. So in order to replace harvest, there would only be a need of 400 female (400 adult female x 500 viable eggs = 200,000 harvest in a year) crappie in the lake… along with a male for each female, that is only 800 crappie we need to replace harvest. So, my point is, spawning potential is not an issue.

[UNQUOTE]

Hmmm.... 800 crappie needed per year to replace 1 year's total harvest / KY Lake is 160,000 square acres of surface water ...

Small waters - releasing females may be logical ...

Larger waters - releasing females ... well... Fisheries biologists do what they do for a reason ...

Talk to your state's Fish and Wildlife biologist -- not guides.. nor writers.. nor Bubba says ...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 04-05-2017 at 10:47 AM.
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor
    Likes Hookin'&Cookin', Clint, stormcloud LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker81 View Post
    That's good to know. Thanks I figured they would get pretty old. I saw pic of one other day caught in Santee that was 7 lbs 4 oz. I'd have to mount that sucker. Don't know were Santee is at or if it was really true. Just saying though. This is what I saw.

It seems the same fish keeps getting caught with weights from 4lbs to 8lbs.....and he is all over the country as well. Still looks healthy though

To Wisconsin fisherman, this is no ordinary fish story

Mike Zimmer was enjoying a phenomenal morning of crappie fishing. Then, it nearly turned historic. The 33-year-old angler from Menomonie was fishing a lake in Menomonie on March 15 when he hooked a 4 pound, 5 ounce white crappie. Most crappie caught are in the half- to 1-pound range.

Mike Zimmer and the 4-pound, 5-ounce crappie. - Provided/BND "It was unbelievable," Zimmer said. "It's probably like catching an 8- or 9-pound bass or a 70-pound flathead (catfish). Crappie fisherman know just how big something like this is." The behemoth that measured 19 inches long and had a girth of 16 inches was part of a crappie bonanza for Zimmer. He started fishing that chilly morning -- the temperature was about 40 degrees -- at 7:20 a.m. By 10:30 a.m., he was already at the dock with his limit of 25 crappie. Among the keepers were a 3-pounder and one that weighed 3 pounds, 8 ounces. The previous day, Zimmer also caught his limit of 25 in under four hours. That's why he declined to reveal the name of the lake that harbors his crappie honeyhole. "Next thing you know, they'll be people all over the place fishing for crappie," Zimmer said with a laugh. Clad in his thermal duck hunting clothes, Zimmer was one of the few fishermen on the lake that morning. The nippy temperatures didn't faze Zimmer, who said he has been fishing since he was in diapers. "For me, I've always caught my bigger ones early when it was cold," he said. "For most people, they would not even go on a day like that. It wasn't ideal by any means, but it was for me." Zimmer was using a 12-foot crappie pole outfitted with 4-pound test and a slip cork. His bait of choice was a Grizzly jig tipped with a small minnow. Knowing the crappie were preparing to spawn, he was fishing in shallow water (between 2 and 10 feet) around some downed trees. It didn't take long for Zimmer to realize he had landed on a school of crappie. Big ones, too. "I had beaten my own personal record (3 pounds) on the 12th or 13th keeper of the day," Zimmer said. "The 4.5-pounder was the 23rd keeper. I knew I only had three more fish to go, and here I catch this one." When he hooked it, Zimmer didn't think it was a crappie. "I'm thinking that's a catfish because it stayed down low," he said. "It didn't want to come up. A muskie will do the same thing. They'll put a good fight up and not come up to the surface.
    Likes Blackhawk19 LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've outlived a lots of crappies, mainly cause ate 'em.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast