Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I learned a valuable fishing lesson today!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I learned a valuable fishing lesson today!

Never let your buddy put the plug in the back of your boat! If you do you may be trolling down the lake and turn to look behind you and realize pretty quick your tackle bag is floating on the rear floor of your boat! Had to fire up big Motor get up on plane let the bilge draw it down and put extra plug I had, from the inside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes M R Dux LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've had to drain my boat that way a couple of times. Too bad I couldn't blame it on my buddy. It was me that forgot the plug. Everyone should have this boat draining skill.

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy is unhooking the motor tote as he always does and I ask if the plug is in as I always do and he said yes and you know the rest of the story.
    I go and hand touch the plug and no longer ask if the plug is in.
    I also learn my lesson.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I learned the hard way, always check my boat before launching AND leaving the ramp.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep one on the dash and when I take mine out of the bilge I hang the other one on the steering wheel when I see it hanging there I check the back plug, put it in and then take the other off the wheel and throw it on the dash. It has saved my butt a couple of times, I'm old and sometimes forgetful
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes try'n hard LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It's worse when you put it in and it comes out while on the lake. Went night fishing in a 14 foot runabout and just enough room between the transom and back seat to put a battery and gas can one one each side of the boat. Pulled up to my spot and dropped anchor and started to fishing. Moved gas tank to middle of the boat so I could put one of my feet in the back. Had a bite on one pole and turned around to face the front on the boat, while swinging around the lever on the drain plug go caught my shot lace, it popped out and I didn't know it. 5 minutes my feet are starting to get wet. Now I'm in big trouble. Pull anchor and start up motor (a 9.9 Johnson) tiller model. Can't give it to much gas because of a short transom or the back of the boat will swamp. Can't go to far because of how many boats are scattered all over the lake. I'm on my knees in water in the middle of the boat trying to watch the top of the transom and watch out for other boaters. Worse 15 minutes on the water. Finally did get half the water out and replaced the plug than bailed the feast out. Got to ramp pulled plug and replaced it with a smaller one with a T handle.
    Likes Mike58 LIKED above post

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

OCD: check at home when i put it on the charger; check at home when I hook up the boat; check before I depart; then i drive around the block to come back home to ensure i closed the garage door; check when I get to the ramp; check before I back down the ramp.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!
    Likes wannabe fisherman, Specklocker LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My motor has to be vertical when stored for my cover system to work right. As I put it up to put in the transom saver I check the plug. At the house. When it's out it goes in the splashwell in front of the motor. No plug in well, must be in. Best not to have help with prep for launch in this area. Buddy in TN had someone take care of the back of the boat before launch. Cost him a transom saver and a trip to the prop shop to get the prop put back in shape. His habit was to bungee the saver to the motor. He wont let anyone else do it last time I checked. Plan your work and work your plan.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Learned that lesson a couple times too. Pulled up to a ramp one time and a guy just parke in the lot. As I back down I looked over at his boat tied off at the end of the dock about half full of water......
    My BlueWave has a plug that just unscrew and stays attached, just havro remember to give a few turns at the ramp.
    I still keep one I can plug in from inside though ( just in case)

Post Thanks / Like

I usually fish with a few different people and I always prep the boat. They can load their gear, but I will load mine and prep the boat. I have it down to a routine and do everything in the same order every time. I put the plug in my transom live-well and always pull it out when I hook up my sonar units. When I unstrap the boat, I put the plug in. Last thing I do before launching, walk about the boat to make sure the straps are off, gear is stowed, sonar units are hooked up, life-jackets are on the seat, and the plug is in.

One time I forgot, fortunately a couple guys at the ramp who just launched pointed it out to me.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast