HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How much weight should I use for pushing minnows and jigs upanddown in river current

Post Thanks / Like

Default How much weight should I use for pushing minnows and jigs upanddown in river current

Moving in current and around jetties and parked on edges of river. A good bit of swirls spin and tangle double jig and hook setups. Im just wondering if I need a big amount of weight or 1-1.5 ozs would be good? Also, is sensitivity better to use a bobber stop and keep the eggs sinkers freely to move on the line or is wrapping them in the line just as good? The water current and swirls are pretty strong.
    Likes Thunderingjoe LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I go with the premise that ya gotta be smarter than what you're workin with. Therefore I loop the line through and use singles, or a heavy jig, also not doubled. Doubles have their place, but when they take the fun away, it's time to get the fun back.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with skeetbum, doubles have their place, but when the effort exceeds the reward time to scale back to singles.

As for weight, it may take some experimentation to see what works best. Might be worth your time now to rig up a method to quickly add/remove weight while on the water. I like 3-ways and snap swivels. Tie up some weight with a snap swivel, attach to the three-way. If too light, or too heavy, swap out to another pre-rigged weight.

As for trolling up and down stream. Personally, I would pick one direction and troll in that direction only. It will take more weight to push upstream than it will to drift down stream. If you go back and forth (up/down) you will constantly be switching weight. As for Crappie, they are lazy and will sit out of the current and wait for food to drift on by, dart out, grab the food, and dart beck out of current to eat. They won't be looking downstream to eat.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

The water was up a good bit today, so I went above the dam and 1oz worked good in coves right on the edges, but still wasn't enough once you hit the main current. Showed a 4 mph current in a couple of quick bends, but it was mostly 2mph. I found fish stacked right on the edges in a few spots, but small whites was all I pulled out.

I have been keeping my weights above the hooks and jigs, so I can get right on top of things (or at least think I am) with the bait, but I rigged one today with the weight on the bottom and it seemed to help the drift some. Is the presentation just a good with the weights on the bottom? I know I would rather pull or bounce a jig through structure than drag a weight through it, but the weight may have to go on the bottom with this much current AND go to singles.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you're on the right track. Tight lining with the weight on the bottom and maybe a small leader on a dropper loop might help also. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Thanks Hammmerhead thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know what is close to the max weight you could run on 14' Pro Staffs?

Post Thanks / Like

Well I put 1.5 ounces on the 12' poles and it didn't seem to phase them. I'm hoping the 14' prostaffs are equally as stiff. I almost went with the Southern Crappie Kevlar/Carbon poles, but was hesitant because the pro staffs are so dang sensitive and didn't want to chance it.

The nicest one we got out of the AR river last Saturday.