Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wobbly spider racks- Help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wobbly spider racks- Help!

Hey all, I wished to paint out my issue here and see if I can get any help on it. I recently mounted my cumberland crappie racks on my Lowe Stinger 175 aluminum boat. I assume the aluminum flooring is just too thin for this mount. I feel like the racks are entirely too wobbly. During fishing, I noticed when one pole got taken by a fish, the hole rack bounced horribly, causing all my rod tips to violently shake. I do realize to expect some of this due to it not being a single rod holder, but my case seemed to extreme when compared to other boats I have fished on. Has anyone ever faced this issue, and how did you stabilize the racks from their wobbly tendencies? Thanks so much, and I look forward to hearing some useful feedback! Happy fishing, everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 175 stinger also and my Hiteks are a little wobbly..I got lucky and hit a cross member in the deck with the screws from the mounting plates that helped some..I have an 07 model and you cannot access the underneath side of where mine are mounted to help back it with anything.

Post Thanks / Like

He told me that might happen when I bought mine.
    He has a track that goes all the way across that will eliminate the deck flex
    Give them a call

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how much work you want to put in to fix the problem, but is seems if you purchases some thicker aluminum sheet metal, cut some larger foot pads, then mount the rod holder to the new larger thicker foot pad this would help re-enforce the deck plate and stabilize the rod holder. I mounted Spider Loks on my Alumacraft which are similar in size to Cumberlands and lucky no problem with deck flex.
    Likes skeetbum, try'n hard LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I was thinkin.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

i wonder if toggle bolts would help

https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-Group...N%3DB000BD8MFQ
    Likes spindle LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I would just go buy a 3/4" sheet of plywood(regular not treated). Cut it out to fit everything up front. Finish it with polyurethane and whatever flooring you like. Then you can screw whatever you what in it and the extra weight of the plywood will help stabilize the boat up front in windy weather also.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes dannyr3_8 LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dosnt look good but, I helped a fellow with the same problem on a Lowe. Cut some 1/8 in aluminum plate in 12 in squares, used pop rivets long enough to go through plate and deck, used about 8 to the plate and then attached title lock holders to it. Helped it quite a bit. No real solution without removing entire front deck and making reinforcement plates for underneath. Very poor setup for a deck in my opinion.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Seen that in a couple of boats I've been in with thin skin decks. A 12X12" plate like Cray suggested or cover the whole deck with another layer.