HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes color and presentation matter

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sometimes color and presentation matter

Yesterday I fished in a local, invitation only crappie tournament on a 12 acre quarry. Most teams showed up with corks and minnows. Fishing started out real slow for me. Using an electric chicken spear tail I managed 3 short fish in 3 hours. At the last stop of the day with 40 minutes left before the end, I switched to a Crappie Slider in Dear John color. In that 40 min. I caught 15 10" crappie off 1 bait. We placed 2nd with a 1 fish difference. 1st place was the only other team not using minnows. When I asked what they used he showed me. Caterpillar color Crappie Slider. Our colors are very similar. This day the bait made the difference. The best minnow team had 5 fish.

No I do not work for Charlie Brewer

Post Thanks / Like

Last time I was on the lake, after a couple hours of experimenting, I wound up with half my poles with minnows and half with sliders, black/chartreuse and pink/white. I caught more off of minnows but I caught all my 14"+ on the sliders including two over 16" and one right at 17". Minnows, even the 3" plus sized shiners produced only small 11" or less crappie. If it was a tourney I bet those sliders would have put me high in the money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Deck Officer/2nd Engineer - M/V Saint Charles.
    2004 Tracker 17.5' Panfish
    Tite-lok rod holders - PST and BGJP rods
    I fish, therefore I am!
    Likes silverside LIKED above post

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on placing 2nd! Agree 100% with your thoughts. With a little experimenting, the fish will let you know what they want. Thanks for sharing.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
    Congratulations on placing 2nd! Agree 100% with your thoughts. With a little experimenting, the fish will let you know what they want. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks Spaceman!
    The problem with letting the fish tell you is that there are so many colors to experiment with, it will change to the one you tried 2 hours ago and you have 50 more colors you haven't tried yet
    Likes hdhntr, try'n hard LIKED above post

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job sticking with it. I've played the color game with them several times. Hit one color like there is no other and then quit. Tie on another similar and it's back on for a while, and so on for 5 or 6 colors til they finally quit for good. Glad you pulled in at second place. Nice being in the money
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Both color and the shape of the bait make a huge difference. I fished after a cold front yesterday. Getting bites was difficult at best. I first found a color they would hit then I tried different shapes and found one shape they liked best. I ended up with 18 keepers which is nothing to brag about but considering no one else was catching I was pleased with the results. Both color and jig shape make a huge difference in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

what is Dear John and Catepillar colors? not familiar with those. thanks and nice work keeping after it.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hdhntr View Post
    what is Dear John and Catepillar colors? not familiar with those. thanks and nice work keeping after it.
    See for yourself :

Thanks silverside, hdhntr thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Where are these available ?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie wrangler View Post
    Where are these available ?
    Search for "Charlie Brewer Slider Grubs" ... and do some price comparison shopping. I've seen prices from $2.79 - $3.99 and some sites don't have all colors available.

I haven't used either of the two colors mentioned ... but, have used & done well in the past on their 1.5" Junebug/Chartreuse Slider Grub.

If you want a larger bait of the same style (paddletail) .... you might consider what our member "snake river" makes : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/diy-s...-plastic-bait/

Or for a thicker bodied version, what our member "slabeye" makes (called Booty Shakers): http://www.crappie.com/crappie/-memb...-crappie-jigs/

Or our great sponsor Strike King's Mr Crappie Slabalicious bodies : through them or our other great sponsor FishUSA ... https://www.fishusa.com/product/Stri...e-Slabalicious

Many commercial bait stores will carry Charlie Brewer Grubs ... but, may not have a full selection of colors or styles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast