HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: school me on casting jigs for spawning crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default school me on casting jigs for spawning crappie

I've been taught crappie fishing with minnows under a float first, and jigs under a float more recently. I have since moved away from the minnows, but see people catching them casting jigs. I have tried a few different options with jig heads and some jigs I use under floats with limited success. Can you all point me in a direction with jig head size and maybe a couple bait options to try for pre spawn and spawn?
    Thanks
    kycrappie

Post Thanks / Like

All you need to know is right here. Sliders are good baits, but the method works with any jig.

Charlie Brewer's Slider Company - Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Weedless Crappie Slider "Why&How"
    Likes ozarks ranger, Spaceman, Thunderingjoe LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 1/16oz ballhead weedless jig heads & 1.5" to 2" plastics (mostly shad stingertail styles, like Panfish Assassins or Slabanator Shad bodies) ... I fish them on a 6'6" fast action rod & use 6lb test hi-vis line ... and I set the hook on any line movement (like a single quick "jump" in the line, line movement to the left/right rather than straight back to me, or instant slack in the line when it can't be on bottom). I use these jigs & casting method when the fish are deeper than 5' and/or around heavy cover.

When they are pre-spawn, or spawning in shallow water (<5ft deep) and not around heavy cover, I'm usually casting a 1/16oz marabou Roadrunner ... with a simple cast/retrieve method, just fast enough to keep the blade spinning & keep the Roadrunner "over top of" any submerged cover.

Most of the lakes I fish, a blue/chartreuse tube or stinger shad works as often as any other color or combo. A solid chartreuse, pink/chartreuse, or solid pink Roadrunner has put many a Slab over the side of my boat, too.

My success may or may not be due to these colors ... but, it's definitely due to "finding" where the fish are, at the time I'm there. No magic color or bait will catch fish, if there are no fish where you're presenting those baits. So, always remember the banks & what type cover you catch spawning fish on ... because they will use those same banks/cover, year after year, and so will their offspring (as long as no significant negative changes occur to that bank).
    Likes Spaceman LIKED above post
    Thanks Jman5626, FIN, Ky Slab thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

We never go heavier than 1/16 ....I like 1/24 and 1/32 number 6 ball head jigs under a float and pitched and "drug" as well . Brought back from its landing spot Slow enough to be a snail crawl , maybe with a rather occasional twitch or maybe none at all .
    Return to known spawning areas because the crappie will as well , we float fish never much more than 3 to 4 foot deep in the spawn and lots of time around 12 inches . Bright baits first is my thought. If they see it it's on ! Lowest lighting conditions will be best for sure as well because a lot of fish move out deep in the daylight .
    Typically boy fish rule real tight to the bank and when you hit it just right girls will be not far away .
    Hope that helps ya .....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Thanks huntersdad thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1/16th oz weedless Jigheads also. I like 1&1/2" to 2" curly tail grubs, Zoom makes one with good tail action in limited colors. I use 20lb Power Pro braid for sensitivity & reduces braid issues. The braid works better after the newness has worn off and is more limber.

Rod & reel are probably most important components. I use a Plueger President 6920 reel & a 5' Rod. Stiff but is sensitive in the tip.

It will take some time for you to be able to throw 30-40', but will come with practice.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

#6 sickle hook in a 1/32 jig and body of choice. Curls tend to ride higher if it's real shallow, but sometimes they wont touch a curl tail. Bobby Garland Baby Shad in 4 or 5 colors and switch til they tell you which one they want. You'll get hung a few times til you learn how deep to allow it to go, and then it's just putting fish in the box. Don't pass any wood in or emerging from shallow water during the spawn. #4 hook is my first choice but the #6 has landed me a lot of big fish and gets hung less. Once you get the hang of it, you can move to #4 sickle if you like. I landed 29 this morning on a #6, had 1 come off at the boat when I tried to swing one that was lip hooked. Too lazy to get the net. 4lb hi vis line helps cast the little jigs and see the bites. Line does anything you didn't tell it to, set the hook.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie spawn in thick brush in the lake I fish. Casting to them is no no because of the brush. Most of the spawning grounds are in 2 to 4ft of water so pitching them plastics is the best method. I use 1/24 ball head jigs with Mr Crappie Shadpoles this time of year. Sometimes we fish for them along rip rap. I use a Lunker City fin-s-shad under a slip float. I cast this set up parallel to the bank and work it back to the boat. Sometimes those crappie are less than 2ft from the bank and you can over alot more water by casting parallel to the bank.

Post Thanks / Like

I walk the rip rap or wade in the brush myself for spawning fish, just like Uncle Wally told me to on his youtube video and it is very effective. use a 10 foot plus pole and you can probe all the cover and keep the jig right where you want and feel it without having to fool with controlling a boat. with the long pole on the rocks where they are spawning just move it back and forth, color doesn't matter much and keep it small, 16th down to 32nd. Pull your jig to tip of long rod and put it into small openings in the brush, drop it just below surface as it is often in foot or two of water and FEEL THE THUMP! it's a lot of fun, you can use your hunting rubber boots or even water shoes and shorts and it is like your a lil kid again.

best thing is I fish where NO ONE else fishes and they drive right past me constantly, as the area is too shallow to get a boat in, lots of brush and junk and no noticeable parking spot. no competition at all and rarely have to go more than 50 feet to catch all i want, can come back with the wife or friend couple hours later and it is reloaded, ready to go again.
    Likes Thunderingjoe LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Grainraiser;3395692]Crappie spawn in thick brush in the lake I fish. Casting to them is no no because of the brush. Most of the spawning grounds are in 2 to 4ft of water so pitching them plastics is the best method. I use 1/24 ball head jigs with Mr Crappie Shadpoles this time of year. Sometimes we fish for them along rip rap. I use a Lunker City fin
    down the bank is the ticket for sure ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Ketchn;3396092]
    Quote Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
    Crappie spawn in thick brush in the lake I fish. Casting to them is no no because of the brush. Most of the spawning grounds are in 2 to 4ft of water so pitching them plastics is the best method. I use 1/24 ball head jigs with Mr Crappie Shadpoles this time of year. Sometimes we fish for them along rip rap. I use a Lunker City fin
    down the bank is the ticket for sure ....
    For sure Outlaw, they go crazy along the riprap shore spawning at twain and T hill. Have caught quick limits with the wives just hanging long poles near shore from boat or from bank. lot of fun and crazy action without any skill at all when it's right. they attack aggressively then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast