Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Record Warm Winter

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Record Warm Winter

I live in Michigan (near Detroit) and this winter has nearly been a record warm winter and this brings the question= How is this going to affect the spring spawn for Crappies in the shallows?

Is water/weather temps the primary spawn factors?

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Length of daylight hours has a lot to do with it also

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    Length of daylight hours has a lot to do with it also

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    According to a study : (copied from a BPS article posted by Keith Sutton)

"..... a study done on Missouri's Table Rock Lake by fisheries biologist Dr. Fred Vasey. Vasey learned that "the first (crappie) nests to appear had an average of 13.2 daylight hours," and "the last nesting sites occurred when the daylight averaged 14.6 hours." In other words, you can determine when spawning will begin and end, and therefore postulate when it might peak, by calculating the number of hours between sunrise and sunset on a given day."

Generally speaking, it takes about 30days to add 1.4hrs of daylight, so you have a 30 day window for the weather & water conditions to be stable enough to get off a good spawn. Adverse conditions can extend that window, or completely close it. Perfect conditions can cause the spawns to occur more quickly.
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks; then the time to start the hunt is mid April? I still can't help but think the warmer weather won't play into this somehow. Eastern lower Michigan has only had temps above freezing for only about 20 days all winter (averaging about 38/40 deg. F & up to 60/65 for nearly as many days)

Maybe the bass and walleye are gonna have an early spawn!?!
    Last edited by warezaholic; 03-26-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My fishing days have ALWAYS been completely Hit & Miss (more miss than hit) but because of recent advancement with electronics, fish finders & GPS, my outings are about to a little more Hi-Tech with aids & lures, as well as getting a little "good advice" before I go feeding those finicky fish "Free Minnows"!

I grew up in the 60's using only "live bait" but either bullheadedness or ignorance (not knowing how to use lures) has kept me from any other options so, from here on out I'm going to get familiar with artificial baits, And with the youtube explosion and documentaries, there's little we can't get some instruction about...
    Last edited by warezaholic; 03-26-2017 at 03:31 PM.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I set time bells. When the fish show up, they ring da bell and says "Tom, Ima here, come git me".
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes wannabe fisherman, Slab LIKED above post