Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: advice on reel for first jig pole

Post Thanks / Like

Default advice on reel for first jig pole

Hi all, I am an avid fisherman who gets out 2-4 times a week during the season. I am an avid bass fisherman who usually only crappie fishes a couple times in the spring and a couple in the fall. I have recently been fortunate enough to purchase a new home with a private 6 acre pond with outstanding crappie fishing. This pond has more laydowns, brush piles, an standing timber than have ever seen for a lake this size. After reading up on here I purchased my first jig pole. I have a 11 ft bottom seat Sam Heaton SS on the way. I really have no idea if I should use a reel like the crappie solo or a small (pflueger 6920) spinning reel. Can anyone care to explain the pros and cons of each. I would think the weight of a spinning reel would balance better (I don't have the rod in hand yet) but assume the inline type reel will avoid slack line twist? Sorry to jamb a bunch in here but 2 more questions....#1 do you drop the lure to the bottom and then fish it higher if you don't get a bite.....#2 braid(w/ or w/o leader) or 6# flouro? Thanks all
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is online now Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

How deep is this pond ? line keeping reel if 18 ft or shallower . Ultra lite spinning on a jig pole otherwise but sounds like a 6-7 ft casting set up would be my choice unless it has tons of brush . Get some sliders of 1/16 and take names . I rarely vertical jig a small pond, not that you could not .jmo
    Likes Triton9918 LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Use the solo or spinning. I personally use the little solo or B&M equivalent. Use braid. 8 lb. I like the fused line better than regular braid. I figure water depth and put that much line out from tip, then work from top down then back up slow. Usually don't need much action. They either going to hit it or not. Usually get bit more on drop.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You might also try this method : Crappie Pappy Article

On a 11' rod that I was only going to use to vertical jig with ... most any "solo" type or spinning reel should work, IF as you say ... it balances well with the rod. Won't have to be anything fancy, since it's mostly going to be just a line holder. I'd put 6lb test mono on it, but that's just me. If the pond has all that much cover, I'd be using weedless jigheads. If the rod isn't sensitive enough for you, put some 10/2 braid on the reel (strip off about 60' of the mono & tie the braid to it and replace that 60'). And if you still have muscle memory for setting the hook on Bass ... I suggest you loosen the drag to where it slips before a full load is on the rod during the hookset. You'll still stick the hook, but at least you won't break the rod (if it's hung up when you set the hook).

If you're gonna use braid ... be sure and have a small wooden dowel to wrap it around when pulling a hung jig loose. Braid can & will cut you !! You might also consider purchasing a pair of Child Size Fiskar Scissors to cut the braid with. Available for a couple of bucks at Wally World, in the school or craft sections. They will cut the braid clean and blunt, which makes it easier to push the tag end thru the small eyelet of a jighead.
    Likes fish getter, hdhntr LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All good so far. I have a Sam Heaton Super Sensitive built like yours and find the balance is right with a 2000 series Diawa Sweepfire reel. My composite reels of the same size didn't balance right. Also, those rods are NOT meant for casting unless it's underhanded. I broke the lower section of the rod while casting it. They were gracious and explained to me that the rod isn't designed for that kind of use. They also replaced it for me but I'm sure that there would be no second trip. I have 6lb mono on mine, and wait til you drop an 1/8oz jig in front of a BIG crappie and he sucks it in and the rods feels like thunder in your hand, you too will be addicted as I am. If you hang up you have to straightline the rod, don't try to muscle it. Keep us posted and good luck.

But most of all, Welcome from Central Florida. You're in the right place.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

The spinning reel should have a better drag for when you hook a bigger fish. I have caught thousands using a zebco t11....the little underpin model. Also the spinning reel will allow you to pitch a bait. Even had a trip saved when crappie were closed mouthed but casting a jig to schooling white bass on a 10 ft b&m made for some fun.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice. I am familiar w/ braid in that I carry a wooden dowel and braid cutters per suggestions. I am still "learning"braid on my bass set ups but I do use it on my flippin/pitchig rod as well as my finesse spinning reel for bass. I really appreciate the advice on working the jig up to down. The pond is 20 deep and has tons of cover. Much of the cover is in 5-10 ft of water.

Post Thanks / Like

If all you are going to do is tightline jig, you don't need a lot of line, so just about any reel would work. But, casting and balance are nice too, so I usually get a decent spinning reel for mine. I use mono. 14lb will usually be strong enough to straighten out jig hooks when you get hung up without breaking.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice....I have been lurking on here for some time but just signed up. As for the suggestion to get a casting set up I have a 6'9" St Croix Panfish UL F with a 6925 pfluger supreme reel and 4 lb P line CX premium. This is my jig pitcher for big gills but I would assume this should work great for crappie also. This is the rod I have been using to pitch sliders and grubs to shallow crappie before buying the jig pole.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the B&M inline reel for my Sam Heaton rod. I want the rig as light as possible. I keep a spinning outfit with me for chunking to the bank or flats. I use 8# Stren Gold for my line.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast