Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: First time for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default First time for me.

Hitting the crappie water tomorrow morning,gonna fish with minners for the first time in my life.I figure to try a couple different set ups,I pre tied a few rigs with a jig on the bottom,and about 12" up I will fish the minner all undera slip bobber.
    The other rig will be a single minners under a slip bobber,any tips for my first go at this would be warmly appreciated.

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You wont sleep a wink tonight...............
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
    Likes JD1, SLABHOG LIKED above post

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Be gentle since this is the first time !
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful minnows can be habit forming.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Update on my first time fishing with minnows.Arrived at the lake just after daybreak,water temps 52°-56°,cloudy sky's,seemed to be a perfect day to catch crappie.......Not! I fished under a slip bobber with just a minnow on one set up,another with a set up of a jig on bottom,and a minnow 12" above the jig,it too under a slip bobber.
    I didn't catch a crappie until noon,actually,I caught two,and that was all.This lake is full of flooded timber,but no matter how much teasing ,no bite?.On the bright side,several other fellows were having the same luck as I,they were casting minnows also,but no takers.I did switch up to a beetle spin,with a 2" paddle tail for a troll back to the landing at 1700 hrs.
    About midway back,I thought I snagged a sunken treetop,but turned out to be a 4 lb largemouth,no pics,so it may not have happened!! I will give minnows another go,but so far I'm not impressed with having to deal with keeping them alive and such.just a couple weeks before,I caught a nice mess of crappie on this same lake using jigs under a slip.

Post Thanks / Like

when the fish get really active on that lake it wont matter what you use is my thoughts , we saw a family whacking them at a spot fast with minnows last week and the guy on the bank said they wasn't biting jigs ,but they were ripping them on minnows really well ....until my first cast that is .....LOL
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna love it
    And with that, I'll see you on the water...
    John
    Remember to take your kids fishn'

Post Thanks / Like

Minnow update,I found crappie deep in brush piles today,I wedged my kayak as far in as I could,and used a 13' extention pole with a slip bobber to lower minnows into little open spots in the brush.I brought home 15 crappie,and 2 bluegills,lost a big channel cat at the edge of the kayak after teasing him through all the brush.
    I did enjoy using minnows,in spite of the one minnow per fish ratio.I caught several more,but tossed them back for another day.Sorry ,no pics,I don't carry a camera or phone all the time,and it was late when I arrived home and cleaned them.One final tidbit,using a 13 ' extention pole with equal line in 15 mph wind is pretty Dang tough!
    Likes yippeejf LIKED above post