Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: The snake question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The snake question.

Now that the 'Pond fishing at night' turned into a snake thread, I have to ask what to do about a problem snake. First off, I hate them and they give me the jeebies. Had a horrific experience this summer when a very aggressive snake tried to get into my boat. If I had a shotgun, I wouldn't have hesitated in blowing a hole in the bottom of the boat to kill it.
    So, how do you handle a problem snake trying to get into the boat - or once it gets into the boat?
    Do you carry any kind of weapon or device just for snakes?
    Yuk!

Post Thanks / Like

Man I wish I was as cool as the dudes on Discovery Channel when it comes to handling snakes, especially the venemous ones.

I still cringe at the sight of a snake. However it's the snake that you DON"T SEE that is most dangerous. Most snakes native to North American will not want to seek you out. We are way too big for them to see us as a food source. They see us as a predator if anything and they will defend themselves. Snake should be more afraid of us than we are of them.

I could tell you lots of good stories about my snake hunting adventures. Times when I was fishing all night long and had my fishing buddies dad blow a water snake up with his 12 gauge shotgun. Somehow the blast of a 12 guage shoulds a lot louder at 2am and in the dark of the night.

Just this last summer I saw a small water snake crossing the lake I was fishing. He appeared to be heading for my boat. I moved the boat to avoid him. Of course I was between the snake and the other shoreline where he was going and as I moved out of his way he swam past my boat and on toward the other shoreline.

When fishing on KY lake as a young boy I was told stories about cotton mouth's swimming into the fish cages and scaring the boat dock owner's wife. I never saw one of those snakes and maybe they just told us that to keep us out of the floating fish cages that were tied next to the dock. It worked. LOL

I have seen shows about snakes on the discovery channel where guys would step on cottonmouths on purpose to get them to bite. Some of those cottonmouths would only bite as a very last resort. Not all cottonmouths are like that and some may bite faster than the one shown on tv. But most snakes want to get away.

About the only time I would be worried is when or if I were wading in heavy brush in shallow water. I can remember warm spring days when I took the boat out in Cypress Bay by myself. This was back in the early 1960's when KY lake still had lots and lots of buck brush. I can remember seeing snakes hanging in the buckbrush. Today you read about Walley Marshal wading along the shallows plucking big slabs out from the buckbrush in 2ft of water. Now that is where the snakes would be most likey found. You see they like to eat fish also. I would not want to wade along and find a big snake hanging in the buckbrush at eye level only a few feet away. That would be something that I would want to avoid.

Now I see snakes around the edge of the lake that I fish all summer long. As long as you don't bother them they normally won't bother you.

If you do get bit by a snake seek medical help ASAP. Today they have antivenom that can reverse the effects of snake venon.

Have I ever shot a snake or beat a snake to death? Sure in the past. But today I leave them alone and enjoy them as part of nature.

Snakes help keep the population of rodents down. As long as they don't come into my house I leave them alone and let them do their thing.

The last snake I found in my back yard I carried over to the nearest brush pile where he would be safe from attack. He was blind in one eye. It was a big long black snake (non-poisonous) King snake. I am sure that he will find any rats that could be around the yard. He may even eat a bird or two or another smaller snake.

When fishing at night bring plenty of light so that you can see what is going on around you.

I wonder if the snakes are attracted to the light? I hope not. I would think that the sight of humans would scare them off.

Quote Originally Posted by jcass
    Now that the 'Pond fishing at night' turned into a snake thread, I have to ask what to do about a problem snake. First off, I hate them and they give me the jeebies. Had a horrific experience this summer when a very aggressive snake tried to get into my boat. If I had a shotgun, I wouldn't have hesitated in blowing a hole in the bottom of the boat to kill it.
    So, how do you handle a problem snake trying to get into the boat - or once it gets into the boat?
    Do you carry any kind of weapon or device just for snakes?
    Yuk!
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I push my wife between me and the snake. lol Smack it on the head with a rod works for me. Guess if one ever decided to keep on it would own a boat or get to see a boat paddle up close.

I like to yo-yo fish sometimes and I'm always leary of snakes. Didn't see one one time and when I grabbed that branch it when squoosh. Ooooohhhhh!!! Just thinking about it gives me the heebie jeebies.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Well you might want to consider one of those 410 daringer style snake guns. I dont think a 410 would blow a hole through the boat but it might.You guys have cottonmouths, up here we have rattlesnakes in eastern washington, and i use a 20 gauge because they are not a snake to be messed with.
    Last edited by Bassman; 01-19-2005 at 06:18 PM.
    Eat your wheaties
    Okuma
    Sniper Lures Custom Baits
    Fetha' 'styx Custom Rods
    Outlaw Baits
    Reaction Innovations
    XS ENERGY DRINKS

Post Thanks / Like

co2 powered bb guns at about 200 fps should not damage a boat but power full enough to hurt/kill a snake and at rapid fire you can miss all you want.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had a snake climb in the boat from the water but my fishing with my father and uncles once we had a snake drop in the boat from a limb. That was a surprise and the sound of the snake hitting the bottom of the boat left little doubt it was a snake.

I remember that one of my uncles just scooped it up with the fishing net and put it in the water. But we sure were scrambling there for awhile. The stern of the little V bottom was sticking in the air because four macho guys were huttled together on the other end of the boat.

Can't remember what kind of snake that was but it really didn't matter. The only really aggressive snake I've encountered was a Copperhead. Like Moose said, normally if you leave them alone they'll avoid and leave you alone.
    "You should have been here yesterday!"

Post Thanks / Like

My friend and I had a water moccasins come right up to our boat and start bumping into the side of it several time while fishing at night on Jackson Lake.....needless to say I was reaching for the net and he had the boat oar......
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

I had a water snake try to get in the boat one night while drifting for catfish. A couple of smacks on the head with a flippin stick changed his mind.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I just smack'em with my pole if I see them in the water when I am anchored or tied to a bridge. If one gets in my boat I give that end of the boat to him. I use my jugging pole(10'pvc with a barbless treble hook attached by bolt). Once I am as far as I can get from the snake without falling in the water I work it out of the boat or throw it when I get it hooked. A few months ago I took my daughter and her friend. We had a visitor. My little girl(17) said daddy it is not a big one but a DAMN snake is in the boat. It was a baby with a pointy head so I assumed it to be dangerous. I couldn't get to the otherside because of the young ladies that were calm but looking to me get rid of the snake without them getting killed. They were a hoot. I just flipped him with one flick of my pole into the water. whew That scared me worse than them because it was right on me and they had my escape space. I think I will take my sons co2 with me this spring..

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

good shoting everyone, but try not to get more snakes than crappie. unless that is what you are going for.LOL
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D