Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Food Chain and the crappie spawn

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Food Chain and the crappie spawn

Many folks out there don't realize how things work with the fish and it surprises me to no end on all the different ideas on what is going on and why . When one fish spawns there are frequently nest robbers around to get an easy meal . This is a common thing in the fish world . So here come the crappie , going at it boys and girls bigtime laying and fertilizing eggs and let the party begin . Next up here comes the small bluegills to race around in the bedding areas along with other nest robbers as well . Then as it is in the food chain here come the larger predators to eat the small fish .
    So yes I managed to ketch some good size bass and my bud managed a few bluegills and I even got my new 8 lb line broke by something during this ordeal. I say ordeal because the fish were hitting so hard (mostly larger crappie) that it was hard on my shoulder and arm as well .
    The one guy out there when we got there was watching me ruin the party like a wild man and said OMG when you set the hook they don't even budge ! We flat out whacked them beyond what folks dream of I tell ya , 2.5 hours of setting the hook like ya mean it . The fish were staged up to spawn and some were already shallow and some were not . Once darkness set in the moved up right to our feet !
    Don't know what the total count was but I photographed 22 larger crappie myself alone . My buds were both in tune as well and the lip jerking was flat out crazy yawl . The bait I pitched until I couldn't see was a Ketch karrot and I only lost 2 jigs and no floats . Laughed until we about cried I tell ya and cut up like you cant imagine . We didn't keep any and gave a guy a limit to carry out because we were a mile off the road . Don't know how many solid fish we put back in,but it was a load and some kinda serious fun for sure !
    uploaded are a few photos to keep it real ....hope you enjoy them and the read as well
    and then as we say in these parts KABOOM !
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Now that's some fun right there!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great time! Wish I had a sore shoulder from catching..The Food Chain and the crappie spawn

Post Thanks / Like

those would be some good pics if you kept your mug out of the shots
    Retired golf addict
    Likes "G", John Doe, Snubby LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibmack View Post
    those would be some good pics if you kept your mug out of the shots
    have to do it like that to keep the doubters at bay bro .....been accused of posting others fish before many times
    the good news is almost no one will let you hold his or her fish for a selfie .....
    and of course keyboard commandos are thick on the internet my friend ....
    and I aint got a photographer with me either as well .....
    besides all them photos with back grounds will fill my spots up with internet spot hunters ....LOL
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes genec, ibmack, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

WTG,NICE FISH,THAT'S ALRIGHT ABOUT YOUR FACE IN IT ,HAVE SEEN WORST,JUST DON'T KNOW WHEN,LOL,JUST KIDDING,NICE CATCH
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8
    Likes John Doe, ad1974, ibmack, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish

Post Thanks / Like

Ketchn-

Ever fish Lake Worth much? Many days ago I was stationed at Carswell - now Ft Worth NAS - and worked in the bomb dump which butts up against about 500 meters of the lakes banks. When I worked the late shift my partner and me always kept a pole and tackle handy for an opportunity when the workload allowed. On a good night we would slay the largemouths, gills and crappie. Those were good times.

That tour allowed me to meet my wife of 25 years. She hailed from White Settlement.
    USAF Retired - 1988 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent report. Love those white crappie. We only have the black crappie up here, but it's still fun when they're hammering like that.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

You're having too much fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast