Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cheatham Annex

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cheatham Annex

I just read about some hot crappie action on one of the 3 lakes there. Do any of you have any exprience with these lakes? I was thinking about giving it a try this weekend but would like to get some more info before I go.
    Any help would be appreciated.- Brad Baker
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Post Thanks / Like

brad,its snowing up here at kerr.
    Dave
    Boydton,VA

Post Thanks / Like

I fished Cheatham this summer a few times. I caught a few crappie there but not alot. I fished the biggest lake, I'm not sure of the name. It is down the road from where you get the fishing permits(convenience store). I never saw anyone there catch much. The lake is 6 ft deep at its deepest and mostly from 4-2 ft deep. They have alot of panfish there. There are some pics in the convenience store that show some large fish but I never saw anyone personally catch anytyhing of decent size.

I was really dissapointed when I took my portable fish finder there and found out how shallow it was. I may try Waller Mill soon because of its depth and array of fish. I have caugth Largemouth and panfish there but no crappie or walleye. They have stripers in there too. Its not far from Cheatham, maybe 10 or 15 minutes away.

My wife fished the shallow lakes on Cheatham but said they were small and over fished.She is a worm & bobber fisher and generally does pretty well for herself.
    Gary H

Hampton, Virginia

Post Thanks / Like

Dusty, thanks for the reply and the info. If I do give it a try I'll be sure and post a report.

Hey dave, I see that snow on the radar. I guess your resident weather poster was right, although I still can't make sense of the whole smoke going down the chumilly thing.
    We are doing some roofing work at GP in South Hill and we wouldn't let the guys tear off today because of the chance of snow.
    Any news on the crappie club? I'm still interested in helping if you want.
    I'm really looking forward to coming out to your neck of the woods. Last year I tried some new creeks based on your advice and overall did pretty good The last trip to Oconeechee I thought Ihad the big one but when I weighed him at the tackle shop he was 1/8 of an inch short and a couple of ounces light. I guess that's what keeps me coming back.
    I have a lot of confidence at your lake because I know there are big ones to be had and as long as I'm catching fish I know it's just a matter of time

Good luck if you go this weekend.
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Post Thanks / Like

Brad,as For The Smoke When The Air Gets Heavy It Forces The Smoke To The Ground.sandy Creek Beside The Front Ramp At Occkneechee Is A Good Place To Draft Corks In The Back End.there Is A Stump Line Just As You Pass The Last Dock House That Holds Crappie Good.
    As For The Club I`m Still Going To Try Just Haven`t Had That Many Interested In It Might Just Do A Small Club And See What Happens 10 Or So People.i`ll Let You Know When.the Way The Main Lake Looks Up Here It Will Take Until First Of March To Clear Up It`s So Muddy.

Dave
    Dave
    Boydton,VA