Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how long does it take to attract crappie to your brush pile

Post Thanks / Like

Default how long does it take to attract crappie to your brush pile

This tree was dropped in December, took this video todayhttps://www.facebook.com/michael.dunton.5/videos/1628230080539406/

Post Thanks / Like

Can't see it for some reason. Years ago me and my dad sunk brush on this pocket ledge and went back the next week to fish it. There was a boat with 2 guys sitting on it pulling one right after the other in. Last year my brother and I sunk brush 2 weeks before a tournament and caught our biggest fish of the day there. It certainly does not take long for the fish to move into it if that's where they want to be at the time

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Depends I guess.

Years ago I put in several trees and stake pallets near our family dock. The first year they were pretty sparse. After about a year I started to catch a lot of shorts 4-5 inchers. By the 2nd year they were mostly 5-6 inches. Every year the majority of fish that claimed my brush/area as their territory, as it were, would grow and get bigger. About year 4 they were mostly keeper sized fish. It was really cool to catch them through the years and watch them grow. I should have kept planting more cover to replenish the decaying trees, but never got around to it - now we don't have access to that property, so no big deal.

Last July, at our new property, I put out several trees and they are just now starting to produce good size fish, but this area is in deeper water and closer to the mouth of a cove vice the back of a shallow cove at the last place.

So, yeah, it depends.
    Swan-Diving off the tongues of crippled giants

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a walleye or two! You need to figure out how to get a tripod down there! Good video!
    Likes beagle man LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Truthfully, there are no rules because it all depends... location, depth, density, etc. I talked to a guy that had a heated fishing dock on LOZ. In Feb, I purchased minnows and took two disabled kids down there. No fish. The dock owner told me they had removed the Xmas trees and other small cover. He said "If you want to attract big fish, you need big cover."

That is plainly wrong headed. If you want to attract big fish, you first need to attract the little fish they eat.

Remember that when you plant cover... you need to understand the difference in cover, structure, and breaks.

The official Buck Perry definition of structure is:

"A section of the bottom with some unusual feature(s) that distinguish it from the surrounding bottom area. extending from shallow water into deep water.”

A Christmas tree laying on the bottom is not “structure.”

Just saying…

Post Thanks / Like

Cool video, thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Beagle I have cuaght fish within 3 days of sinking brush.

Hogsters phone
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    Likes beagle man LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Couple years ago when Smithville put a bunch of trees in I went out the next day and fish were already starting to hang on it.

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason I can not get a picture or video to post on my C dot C post, what the heck, Mod or super mod any ideas, what should I check in settings?

Speck is online now MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you send the pics to my phone beagle? I'll try to post

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast