Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leader when trolling cranks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default leader when trolling cranks?

I'll be using 30# braid (8 lb mono diameter) for trolling cranks. Do I need to use a mono leader and if so, how long? Also, will using a leader and a barrel swivel change the way my crank runs? Will it help or hurt?

Post Thanks / Like

I dont see why you would need a leader. Im sort of the opposite though I use 8lb mono and use about a 2 foot braid leader. The swivels dont seem to affect the way the crankbait runs either.

Post Thanks / Like

Default leader when trolling cranks?

I wouldn't worry with a leader, plus you'll lose your ability to bend the hooks out with a mono leader. I would fill my spool up with mostly a cheap mono for filler and then spool on your braid. Assuming you're using line counters they're more accurate when they're full

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Most people I know that push/pull cranks WILL use a "sacrificial" leader. It may be because they are using trolling weights ahead of their cranks, and can't stop or turn quickly around to free a hung bait (due to the necessity to maintain a set speed, so as not to have ALL the cranks pulled to the bottom by the trolling weights).

I use leaders, so as to not have to try and pull a crank free OR break 30lb test braid ... but then I don't longline troll with cranks, I push them (w/trolling weights ahead of the leader line & crank -- or jig)

I've heard people say they use 3-5' mono leaders for cranks. I've used as short as a 18" leader, ahead of my cranks, and still caught fish.
    Likes SlabPappi LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

A leader is like car insurance. You only need it when it really counts.

A fluorocarbon leader affords abrasion resistance and shock absorption, which I feel is critical when using braid. If you are worried about not being able to bend out hooks on a hung cranbait, switch the trebles out to single, aberdeen hooks. They've been catching crappie for generations and when combined with cranbaits, they can be bent out with little effort, even with straight mono main lines. JMO.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Braid straight to the crank. Crappie tell me they don't care.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes skeetbum, Billbob, BuckeyeCrappie LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Mono all the way to the swivel at the bait. Never saw a need for anything else. KY/Barkley crappie approved of this message.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I use 20/8 braid, yellow- I tie straight to swivel and bait. I use no leader, crappie do not care. Hooks will bend out with this setup. I use bandits, they come with light hooks, Chinese made, will break also. My 2cents worth.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use braid straight to the swivel. Lose less baits this way.

Post Thanks / Like

What they said

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast