Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: advice needed on southern mo crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default advice needed on southern mo crappie

Hey guys, new to the site thought this would be the place to post this question being it's in Missouri.
    Needing some advice on catching crappie in really clear water.
    Today I could see the bottom at 12 ft clearly.
    Creek fed lake only about 7 acres big,lots of thick vegetation on bottom, most areas only a few feet of fishable water before the plants start.
    The main channel and dam area is about all that's clear of bottom plants.
    Have caught some nice ones here before on swimming minnow and twirlley tails,but I just can't seem to get so much as a bite this year.
    Any info would be helpful trying to keep the kids interested in fishing without boarding them too death.
    Noteworthy is the fact that nothing seems to be biting.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard. Gin clear water can be tricky. The fish can get very spooky. I have had pretty good luck casting a jig under a bobber near cover and slow retrieve. Also just a plain ole minnow and bobber rig works good. It's all about getting the bait away from the boat.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site lots of good information around here and great people as well !
    Really can't add any more then Speck , slip bobber and minnows always good, when they dont want anything go small and slow.

A gun, like any other source of power, is a force for either good or evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it
    From an old movie I saw

Post Thanks / Like

Go check out the Kentucky Forum and look for long lining, they have almost perfected the art of fishing clear water

Post Thanks / Like

You can take one of these natural corks ...Natural Cork Floats | Bass Pro Shops: The Best Hunting, Fishing, Camping & Outdoor Gear .... and fish a minnow under it on a hook with no weight or a tiny split shot. You can also use trout flies under it or crickets for Bluegill. The plan is the fish are not as spooked by the natural cork as a brightly colored or heavy one that plops when it hits. And you want the bait to look as natural as possible. You have to stay quiet.

I learned this more than 40 years ago at Duck Creek. You could make a little pitch with it on a regular pole or fish it on a long pole and sometimes even pitch it with a long pole a little. Low viz line...we always skul paddled and were careful to not make a lot of noise. I remember a few days when the crappie were bedding at the base of the cypress trees. Sometimes you could actually see the fish inhale your bait. You have to get close most of the time because the pads and grass force you to fish holes in the vegetation.

And don't give up on casting cause its gonna work sometimes to....swimming a jig over the grass....and use crappie nibbles when you're using a jig.