Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Inflatable Pfd

Post Thanks / Like

Default Inflatable Pfd

Just wondering if any one has used the onyx auto 33 and had any issues with it auto inflating. I have a couple gander mountain style auto inflators but have had issues with them inflating on there own due to humidity or moisture. I know the mustang hydrostatics don't have this issue but are very expensive. I see the onyx still use the bobbin but are worn by a lot of the mlf guy. Any input?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have an Onyx Auto Inflate and have had no problems with it - BUT - I knew when I got it some of the situations where others had theirs inflate at an inopportune time. So to avoid any proiblems I store mine inside (it is on a shelf about 6' behind me right now) - never leave it for extended time in my truck or Jeep - and never leave it in the boat, even though the boat is out of the weather in an unheated and uncooled workshop. I would like one of the hydrostatic models but the cost makes me think that I can continue to care for the one I have. I also have a manual one from Cabela's (which is a Sterns) which I use in my canoe and float-tube when I am likely to get wet without needing it to inflate.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

I have an Onyx 24 that I have only used a couple of times, so I can't speak about all of the unintended inflates. However, I also always store mine inside when not in use. My plan is to remove the auto equipment and make it manual only when I am in my kayak. I guess time will tell, but I plan to do all I can to avoid the scenarios that I have heard that will cause an unintentional inflate.

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro has H.I.T. Inflatable vests on sale for 199.99 and free shipping right now if you want one. Cheapest price I have found yet. Just picked up one myself as I also have a cheapie that I constantly protect and the wife likes to wear when she fishes occasionally.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Keep checking ebay, I picked up 3 mustang vests for $150 last year. Used, but All in great condition

Post Thanks / Like

West Marine has auto/manual PFD's for $54.00! Has good reviews also.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...TOtBoC1Kvw_wcB
    Thanks lepcur thanked you for this post

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one deploy under the front deck once. Now I store it and my wife's in a large heavy duty ziploc bag when not wearing. Got the bags on amazon.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both