Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Didn't secure it :-(

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Didn't secure it :-(

2 weeks ago I bought a new landing net $30. Today I had everything ready to go to the lake when I got home. So I looked everything over seemed alright. Got to the lake and caught a slab. Turned around to reach for the net. It wasn't there My new net was gone. Never had that happen before. Would only have taken seconds to secure it. I'll do better from now on.
    Fin

Post Thanks / Like

Hello: I have a S U V and I stow everything that I think could remotely fly out of the boat in it before I leave home. I have a reservoir I go to nearby and always see stuff from boats and people stopped to retrieve stuff. Good Luck. O - R
    Likes snakeeater LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen a life jacket, a pole, landing net, couple of coolers, and countless minnow buckets. I've got a good supply of them buckets. Mostly the cheap ones.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I found a way that works well for me after losing some myself. I use the net at wally with the green mesh about 2 1/2 to 3 feet long. I bought a 4' oak dowel at Lowes and with my router table I cut a shoulder on it about 3 or 4 inches to go inside the handle and put a small screw in it. The oak is heavy and floats, two useful qualities. It lays in the boat with the HANDLE POINTED FORWARD and is heavy enough not to get airborne. I used a broom handle on the first one and it was too light and I watched it exit the boat and get trashed by a following car. I've had this one over 4 years and replaced the net itself due to holes from old age.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Redge, FIN LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    I found a way that works well for me after losing some myself. I use the net at wally with the green mesh about 2 1/2 to 3 feet long. I bought a 4' oak dowel at Lowes and with my router table I cut a shoulder on it about 3 or 4 inches to go inside the handle and put a small screw in it. The oak is heavy and floats, two useful qualities. It lays in the boat with the HANDLE POINTED FORWARD and is heavy enough not to get airborne. I used a broom handle on the first one and it was too light and I watched it exit the boat and get trashed by a following car. I've had this one over 4 years and replaced the net itself due to holes from old age.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine is a truck driver. A few years ago he was meeting a pick-up pulling a boat near KY Lake. Just as they were meeting, a landing net flew up out of the boat and stuck handle end thru the passenger side windshield of the large truck. He was close to a friend of ours bait shop so he drove the tractor to there where he had to climb up on the hood to get the net out of the windshield. Good ending to a potential tragedy.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we all have donated at least one item to the asphalt creek. Mine was the flotation seat cushion. I normally latch one of the nylon throw handles under a storage box lid. This time I did not. It flew away somewhere. Now some items I just keep in the truck until I get to the ramp. Other items I secure with a "dummy cord"...a term an Army person would understand. Oh, I also had my humminbird cover fly off once. Luckily, it landed in the boat. I now use one of the same nylon stretch retainers used on my rod storage rack to secure the humminbird cover.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!
    Likes Northforker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My last net lasted most of the summer stowed in the same spot. It never flew out until it did.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I donated an inflatable PFD to the cause last summer when I failed to secure my butt seat behind my center console and it tilted forward coming back from the lake. I wasn't real happy about losing a $125 vest.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I think we've all donated
    I donated a throwable cushion a couple weeks ago on the river. My wife had hung it on a cleat, I looked at it, thought that won't stay, but didn't loop it and took off. Almost back to the camp I glanced back and saw an empty cleat....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast