HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A must carry tool!

Post Thanks / Like

Default A must carry tool!

Yesterday while on the lake,a gentleman pulled his boat up next to my kayak,and ask me if I could help him dislodge a treble hook from his index finger.Ive never used the string and yank method,but when I presented this option to him,he declined( something about yanking a hook backward goes against even my desire )
    I much prefer to shove the point ahead through and snip the barb end off,so did the man with the hook.After dismantling the spinner,only the treble hook remaind,shoving the barb ahead through didn't bother me at all.next problem was my leatherman side cutters were to big to snip the end off a #12 treble.
    I did manage to flatten the barb,and slide the hook back out,but we both decided that a small set of quality side cutters would have made the operation much easier,a set will forever live in our tackle box.

Ttexastom is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Very valuable info! Thank you
    John 3:16
    Thanks Redge thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I hope his tetanus shot is up to date.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The string method works very well, is painless, and does not tear the skin up. Plus you always have some string laying around.,
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Likes Crestliner08, timd3200, scrat, skeetbum, Chance LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle Bill View Post
    The string method works very well, is painless, and does not tear the skin up. Plus you always have some string laying around.,
    Sometimes a pass thru is impossible, like under a fingernail. String method or ,heaven forbid, digging it out may be the only way!
    I can't, I'm fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ Actually made me a puller with some twisted 30lb braid slid through some airline tubing and tied in a loop. Keep it stowed in my first aid kit. Press down on hook shank and a quick snap and its out.
    Likes Crestliner08, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I added a new set of side cutters to my tackle box when I started pulling cranks. Haven't needed them yet thank goodness.
    Likes Chance LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm betting on average,most folks cannot bring themselves to imagine pulling a hook out backwards would be painless and not tear when popping out.I had the pleasure of hooking myself in the tricep with a large treble,( two outta three barbs were in my arm )since I had no help,managing the string removal method was not easily doable.My only option was use my needle nose cutters,and poke both points through ( another good reason to keep your hooks sharp )
    Bicep skin is dang tough by the way,yet poking them through was surprisingly painless,popped off the barbs and released my self.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been fortunate enough to be involved in 3 different hook incedents. The first went my family took me to the Dr. The next we used the line pull method. The most recent one I was moving a rod to my truck and somehow buried a single hook in my hand. A quick glance and I popped it on through before I really had much time to think about it. I then cut it off and backed it through. A little sore for the day but did fine after. The one consideration for the line method is that if you happened to bury the hook in a tendon or ligament, it may not work.

Post Thanks / Like

Here ya go if you can handle it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp6jimTV7o4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast