Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on new boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice on new boat

Need the help of the folks here at crappie.com. Have owned several boats over the last twenty years and hope to buy the last one as soon as I figure out who makes it. Looking for an aluminum 16-18 footer with a low front deck. Most of the boats I have owned in the past had high front decks and given my age and knees and issues with balance, I no longer want to battle getting up on a high deck. Thought about a stick steer but they all look pretty cramped. Wanting a modified V, to me that is a good compromise that will give me adequate performance and stability. I mostly bluegill fish, and tend to like smaller bodies of water, say 1000-2500 acres. Any ideas on brands and models to look at would be appreciated. In the past I have owned lund deep v, sea ark, alumacraft deep v, and blazer sport jet jon. I mostly fish with myself and one other. I tend not to get more than two in the boat, makes decision making easier.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

There are a couple of boat builder somewhere around Rolla Mo that will build you what you want. I know one of them is Blazer boats they build good boats most anyway you want it built.

Post Thanks / Like

And with that, I'll see you on the water...
    John
    Remember to take your kids fishn'

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a 2010 Alumacraft Pro 175 with 21 hours on the F75 motor. This is a modified v-hull design. Boat appears to be well constructed I highly recommend!
    Kevin
    in Yorktown

Post Thanks / Like

I have alumacraft 17ft that has stick steer, you set low in the boat because of how a stick steer is set up. I am 70 and when I get in the boat I don't have to get up again. I also shoot docks most of the time and setting low in the boat gives a very good angle to shoot. Most dock shooters that have a deck have to bend over to get that important angle. I would not say stick steer is for you but with your age and knees it would be something to look at. If you know someone that has a stick steer maybe you can check it out, the ride in rough water is not as smooth as a console boat. I wouldn't say go buy without checking it out because they can be hard to resale, many people do not like them. My boat is a older model and the only complaint I have is the amount of room up front. That is because of built in storage on each side. The newer boats are layed out better then mine with more room. I have looked at some stick steer with the live well on the side and that opens the boat up, may still not be enough for you but just my two cents. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

When age gets on and my bay boat gets to heavy to handle alone this is what I will be looking for, pretty much to your exact description of needs
    https://xpressboats.com/utility-series/

or this
    Eagle 170 PFX | G3 Boats
    Likes Clint LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Boat for old folks. Built for old folks. Recommended by old folks.

Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Zinger, wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

War eagle boats have the lowered decks. If I could go buy one brand new rite now thats what it would be!
    754LDSV - War Eagle Boats

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Cane Pole! Check out the Pondtoons. I have gone to fishing like you and my 1672 Pondtoon is perfect for that. Use to have a beautiful 18' Lund but was getting to be too much for me to handle and get in and out of. Don't do Canada and big water any more and definitely a fair weather fisherman at 73 so didn't need the big Lund anymore. Went from around 2500# to less than 1000#. Quality construction, total aluminum, the hull is completely full of flotation. Very stable for moving around on board.
    PONDTOON!
    1672 PONDTOON, 20 HP Yamaha, 55# MinKota foot control up front, shallow water anchor pole system 8' to 14', rod racks, sonar unit with GPS and structure scan, touch screen, at the back. Sonar with down scan up front off the TM. Aluminum diamond plate raceways and terminal boxes with storage for the sonar units. Starting battery in the rear and a deep cycle battery for the sonar units and backup power for TM with an on board charger,dual unit. Separate battery box with single charger and deep cycle battery for the TM. Two seats on storage boxes and a removable pedestal seat to use if needed. Storage pouches on the right side rails for tackle and extras. A true fishing machine, not fancy!!

Last edited by Zinger; 01-10-2017 at 06:16 PM.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Zinger; 03-14-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    Likes timd3200 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Agruss, I have been considering a stick steer boat. Hard to find one to look at in person. Based on your experience if you were to buy another one what brands would you consider the best as far as layout and fishability? Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast