Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking a poll for a custom rod and reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Taking a poll for a custom rod and reel

My soon to be daughter in law wants to buy my son a custom rod and reel for his wedding gift. She wants something nice with their wedding date engraved in roman numerals. I told her I would ask you all for advice. PM me with your suggestions. Thanks
    Lets go soak a line. Pat
    Likes Jman5626 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

And with that, I'll see you on the water...
    John
    Remember to take your kids fishn'

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a really neat idea

Post Thanks / Like

Most rod builders can print a label and epoxy it to the blank above the fore grip it's fairly simple. I always liked doing a thread weave better but Roman script would probably be both difficult and expensive. Expensive even for a custom.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

There is someone on here who builds custom rods, has posted some pic's before, just can't remember who it was. He does some beautiful work. Hopefully he will see this and post up or some who knows who it is can give you info. What a great gift idea.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the info. I talked to Ed Duke at Southern Crappie Rods and he told me it would be easiest to just get a rod I like and take it to a graphic artist so I bought one of his and there is a couple of them here in town. As far as the reel goes, I will get a nice one and take it to a jeweler and have it engraved
    Lets go soak a line. Pat
    Likes Gobbledot LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about "Easiest". For who? The person selling it?

You have to remember that a true "custom" rod is made for the person. It is in the length, style, weight, action, and color they prefer. It has a handle they want, with a foregrip they choose and a rear grip that is the right size and dimension and made of eva foam, cork, split grip, and so on. The eyes are made and selected to their specific style of fishing and the number varies depending on the style as well. They can be titanium to cheap boat rod eyes. Wraps are created in a color combination specifically for that person. Decals including fish, names, wedding dates, and anything else you can think of are added. Rods can be purchased in fiberglass, graphite, fiber graphite, glass composit, Torre Graphite, and many others.

When I build a rod I ask: What are you fishing for? What style of fishing are you using? How do you hold the rod? Where do you like it to sit in your hand and arm? What size reel do you use? What colors do you like? All of these determine the specific blank I choose, what type of reel seat I buy, the handle, the eyes, and so on. Did you know that most production off the shelf rods have an arbor created under the reel seat in order to build it up to affix it? Most of them are made with simple masking tape which deadens the feel of the rod? Most custom builders will utilize urethane or graphite arbors in order to transfer the feel of the bite, rock, or whatever, through the blank and into the reel seat and ultimately to the hand of the fisherman.

I think she has a great idea. If it were me, I would be utilizing our specific "Wedding" colors to have the builder use for the wraps. What does he like to do? Jig, dip lillies, cast jigs? All could be taken into consideration. Example: If he casts small jigs, a rod could be built utilizing "microwave" guide eyes which are designed to throw anything at much greater distances.

As far as a graphic artist. They are going to produce the decal. Are they going to install it, and then apply the coats of epoxy needed to preserve it? Do they have a rod turner to ensure it is a smooth even coat? Do they have an alcohol torch to ensure that there are no bubbles when the epoxy (known as rod finish) is installed? Are they going to utilize an epoxy that will not "yellow" or deteriorate in the sun? Are they going to apply the decal AFTER they wipe down the area with Denatured alcohol?

Can't find these at the corner store!

Name:  Abby1.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  41.2 KB
    Name:  dad1.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  63.0 KB
    Name:  Double Chevron top.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  15.8 KB
    Name:  Rich3.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  42.6 KB
    Name:  Mettalic right.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  41.8 KB
    Name:  Underwrap Diamond 2.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  40.2 KB
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes Tracker123, chaunc, steve64116 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    There is someone on here who builds custom rods, has posted some pic's before, just can't remember who it was. He does some beautiful work. Hopefully he will see this and post up or some who knows who it is can give you info. What a great gift idea.
    It wasn't me you were referring to was it??
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

As a custom rod builder I would agree with wicklundrh.

Post Thanks / Like

@wicklundrh
    Your rods are beautiful! I would love to get one like those one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast