HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Life Jacket Use

Post Thanks / Like

Default Life Jacket Use

I am 75 years old and grew up around the water in Rhode Island. I learned to swim when I was 4 or 5 years old. I was in the Coast Guard. I have no fear of the water and have nothing but confidence in my abilities on and in the water. Just five days ago I was crappie fishing from my boat on the Alabama River at Millbrook, Alabama where I have been hundreds of times. I was in the middle front seat of my boat and leaned to my right to get a minnow from the bucket. No more than one second later I was under the water as the base plate for the seat that is secured to the deck with six screws, just pulled completely off the deck. Seriously, no more than one second. I did not feel any panic, my thought was; well, I’m in the water just swim up and get to the boat. But as I started to swim up I realized I was still going down! My wet clothes were weighing me down. I redoubled my efforts to get to the top. I was making progress; however, remember I said it took about one second to fall into the river? Well that meant I did not have any time to take a good deep breath before going under. As I looked up I began to wonder if I had enough air to make it. Now my chest is beginning to tighten and my brain is telling me I need to breathe and I need to do it right now. It would have been so easy to do that. Even as I write this I recall how easy it would have been to take in a big lungful of water. Obviously I held my breath and made it to the surface. So, to THE MAIN POINT FOR WRITING THIS. DO NOT BE LIKE ME. WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKET. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO SO. DO NOT FOR ONE SECOND THINK YOU WILL HAVE TIME TO PUT YOUR JACKET ON. I CERTAINLY DID NOT HAVE ANY TIME TO DO SO, AND THERE SAT MY JACKET ON THE DECK, NEAR MY FEET AS I FELL INTO THE RIVER.

Post Thanks / Like

You may have just changed my life (or what is left of it). I'm 70 and feel safe without my preserver and I now understand how important it is. Thanks for sharing.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post
    Thanks ShowmeCrappie, shortdraw thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

That's plain enough...they are made to wear

Post Thanks / Like

Glad this had a happy ending. I have always been one who had the life jacket as a requirement if I was checked. Seriously, it is stowed so deep it would take forever to get it out and on. Two weeks ago I decided this was insane! I can have an accident just as easily as anyone. We bought the auto / manual vests, and in the two trips since, we put them on at the ramp. Both trips, I have noticed mine as I was driving the truck away. They are that comfortable! Thanks for the reminder of how life can change in a second.
    Likes HillBilly LIKED above post

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing a very important story and lesson. ALWAYS wear your PFD! No matter how good one thinks they are, a split second accident can happen to anyone, anytime. Glad you are okay.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

Post Thanks / Like

I second the auto inflate jackets they are so comfortable I hardly notice I have one on.

Post Thanks / Like

I use auto inflate, it goes on when the boat hits the water and doesn't come off until the boat is on the trailer
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, glad you are okay and thanks for sharing your story.
    I am gonna be honest, that scenario has never crossed my mind and probably never would have had I not read your post.
    I always wear my jacket while the boat is in motion but take it off when I start fishing or USED TO......

I have a couple Cabelas gift cards and I think I now know how they are gonna be used, sounds like the inflatable life vest would be a fine purchase.

Thank you again.

Post Thanks / Like

So glad you made it! I will definently be wearing mine in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad your still with us!! I like you have always been comfortable on/in the water. Since I fish by myself a lot, I got to thinking what if I hit my head on the way in.
    I wear my self inflating life jacket all the time, while in the boat.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!
    Likes Davedirt LIKED above post

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast