HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to prevent a break?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to prevent a break?

Perhaps a stupid question,but never the less,here goes.I have a pretty good variety of fishing rods,but I really enjoy fishing with the simplicity of telescoping rods,and no reels.I usually set them up with 4-6 lb test,with the line length matching the rod length.
    I've been hesitant to reach into brush much for fear of snagging my jig and not being able to free it.I don't mind losing jigs,my fear is snapping the tip on my extention pole,because I snagged where I couldn't reach my rod tip to grab the line.
    Other than rigging my jigs to prevent as many snags,how does anyone else free themselves without breaking the fragile rod tips?Another scenario would be snagging in shallows where it was impossible to reach the line at the rod tip to pull the lure free or break the line.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

using the rod tip to spear,poke, punch or push a jig that is hung is never recommended . It's much wiser to pull the line till it breaks off . Not only is it wiser but much more cost efficient . A dollar jig or chance of breaking a tip ? Easy math.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I never tie the line directly to the eye. I run it thru the eye then tie the line to the pole. If you get hung up pull straight back and you will never break the eye off.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Likes ibmack LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle Bill View Post
    I never tie the line directly to the eye. I run it thru the eye then tie the line to the pole. If you get hung up pull straight back and you will never break the eye off.
    I don't either, Bill. I run the line thru the eye and loop it around the eye a couple of times and then spiral wrap it around the pole, starting right behind the tip eye and going all the way down to near the butt end of the pole. Not only does that keep from snapping the tip off, but it also allows you to break off some line and not have to re-string the whole pole. You just un-tape or untie the line from the butt end of the pole and pull out however much line is needed to get back what you lost.

Did that on my 10' & 12' collapsible poles that I used to dip a minnow/float down into the "buck brush" at Barkley Lake. Poles were strung with 17# test Cortland braid with a 12" leader of 8lb test mono. Although, I really don't remember ever breaking the leader, or getting hung bad enough to have to try and pull it free.
    Thanks lugnutzz thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
    I usually set them up with 4-6 lb test ...
    You could try lighter line. I fish with telescopic poles a good bit and never go above 4#. (Four pound line is my "insurance" in case I hook a catfish. 2# is plenty strong for crappie and bream.)

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10' B&M telescopic poles with 14# red cajun line tied straight to the eye on the poles. When I get hung up I take a rag wrap it around hand and line to keep from cutting hand. Then just pulling the line and straightening out hook. Then take needle nose plyers and reshape hook and so far the wife and I use 12 poles(6 each) and never have broke an eye or pole.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Spaceman is online now Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle Bill View Post
    I agree this is the way to rig a telescoping rod!
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys,sometimes the simplest solutions escape the sharpest minds..........that's probably why it escaped mine

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I use heavier jig poles like Ozarks and 1/8 oz jigs . The heavier jigs easier to shake free . I do use the rod to knock my jigs loose if that don't work , just use care not to force it . Light weight rods of other brands I have used bad were about breaking .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    You could try lighter line. I fish with telescopic poles a good bit and never go above 4#. (Four pound line is my "insurance" in case I hook a catfish. 2# is plenty strong for crappie and bream.)
    Watch for nicks and 4lb line is like hawser. Caught a 17lb channel cat that straightened a bluegill hook so only the barb was holding him on #4. Surprisingly difficult to break.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast