Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling?

Okay so the only crappie trolling that i have done is with a dime sized float about four feet above a 1/32 ounce jig and troll standing in the bow with the trolling motor on the first setting. I was able to catch tons of fish that weekend. Now i am a big troller I troll for most of the fish that i persue and if anyone does know what a kokanee is they know i must troll alot. so anything will help, and again in washington no live minnows or shads or anything live and fishy(worms and such ok).
    Ian
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

One technique you can use is just a plain old beetle spin. If you want to use a double rig you can take a 3 way swivel and attach a 36 inch 4lb test leader on the top part of the swivel and a 18 inch piece of 8lb test on the bottom. and the other swivel goes to the main line.On the 18 inch leader tie a 1/16 ounce jig and then on the 36 inch leader tie on a 1/80ounce jigs.
    Eat your wheaties
    Okuma
    Sniper Lures Custom Baits
    Fetha' 'styx Custom Rods
    Outlaw Baits
    Reaction Innovations
    XS ENERGY DRINKS

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah theres one more method i remebered. Over at the potholes they troll for real big slabs with baby hotlips crankbaits. i think if you were to down size those to like a strike king mini crank you should be able to get some slabs here on the westside of the mountains.
    Last edited by Bassman; 01-19-2005 at 06:28 PM.
    Eat your wheaties
    Okuma
    Fetha' 'styx Custom Rods
    Outlaw Baits
    Reaction Innovations
    XS ENERGY DRINKS

Post Thanks / Like

thanks bassman.every time i say that i think batman. i know wierd.

Post Thanks / Like

Insted ogf the bat spot light i could use a bass spotlight.
    Eat your wheaties
    Okuma
    Fetha' 'styx Custom Rods
    Outlaw Baits
    Reaction Innovations
    XS ENERGY DRINKS

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see that, you could use it for night fishing. That would be so cool. i wounder if a light with a shadow of a giant bass would scare of the crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

any one troll rooster tails or any other inline spiner.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I just started trolling for slabs back in may so I am very new to the idea. I am still unsure about so many variables that my confidence level is low. If I don't catch 1 in a short while I go back to old methods. Some of the things I have learned are: it takes a while to figure it out. You loose plenty of jigs untill you learn to keep it off the bottom and out of but on the brush. Fixing eight rods instead of fishing sux. I can tie knots quicker than ever now. I use a two jig 18"4#test leader with 1/16bottom and 1/32top jigs with a 1oz sinker on the bottom. This holds my jigs verticle to makes sharp turns in between docks and cut ins. I can 360* if needed. But other times I just single jig a 1/16 and 1/8 on all the poles. Thit is the same way I grew up trolling for stripers just slower. I want to try using small cranks but I still loose jigs left and right. I can't afford $3 - $5 x 8 many times.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there.....if you aren't losing jigs, you aren't close enough to the fish!!!

I lost probably close to 125 jigs last trip to FL, but we also ended up with 105 fish in 2 days......it all evens out....
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I like ratletraps!!!

1 and 1/2 in size. Also B2 bombers. I do this in heat of summer when all else ain't working. I am usulally scouting around for brushpiles and Honey watches the poles. Catch all sorts of critters. It is fun.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast