Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tough day on the trout river.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tough day on the trout river.

Today was tough.......but I was determined not to leave the river without 15 keepers. Did not start fishing until 10:30 a.m. At some time around six in the morning the river had a shad kill.......which if you are there when it happens it is a feeding frenzy for several hours. But after that the fish aren't going to hit anything......they are stuffed. Well I kept at it......and after around 4 hours I had 15 quality fish. Biggest ones were 13 inches.....most 11-12 inch fish...broad shoulders. They did not bite light today. When they hit it was like a lighting bolt hit the rod. Also had 6 nice trout that really gave a good fight on the UL rod. I used the Ice Cube Rockin' Drift 6' 9" UL Mebaru rod. Reel was spooled with SOS 2# test line and was using 2# test Phantom fluro leader. The lure today was a Midnight Blue Dancer on a 1/16 ounce Micro fry jig head. The fish were all hugging the bottom....some caught in 7 feet of water and some in 25 feet of water....but all on the bottom. Water temps ranged from 49-51 degrees. A beautiful day to be on the water. Going to take a week off...according to the weather reports not going to be my kind of weather to fish in....cold, windy, rainy, and maybe some snow. So it looks like I will hit it again around the 17th...Saint Patrick's Day! Life is good!

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Likes ET Fish, slackline, Redge, chaunc LIKED above post

Takeum is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Dang,, I'd kill for a few of them trout to eat,,,, I miss fishing trout,,, where do you cTch them in Tennessee?
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Avery outdoors superstore

Post Thanks / Like

Great report, and awesome fish!

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mighty fine looking catch for a tough day. Way to stick with it! Great report. Thanks for sharing.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you stuck it out and stayed at em . Good quality fish !! I have the gills and the trout figured out their but I haven't ever been able to catch more than 1-2 crappie out if their .

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Some nice fish, and way to stick with it on a tough day.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice indeed!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Blacks and browns. That's a nice combo.