Thread: Timing The Spawn

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Timing The Spawn

The timing of the crappie Spawn Read more:
    Early Spring Crappie Tactics - In-Fisherman

Name:  Map4.gif
Views: 3422
Size:  138.6 KB

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When the water starts rising towards summer pool is a foolproof indicator that the gold rush is on here at the Big Sandy. You don't need a soothsayer to recognize the "signs". This has worked for me for about 70 years. Cold fronts sometimes interfere as do floodwaters.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes VaCrappieMan, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree... I can catch a few in evenings to early mornings in the creeks (bank fishing) but when the water comes up the bite picks up a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Warm days in row anytime after the water temperature rises from its winter low about 5 to 10 degrees
    triggers me ......I bet it's similar in other states as well
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    When the water starts rising towards summer pool is a foolproof indicator that the gold rush is on here at the Big Sandy. You don't need a soothsayer to recognize the "signs". This has worked for me for about 70 years. Cold fronts sometimes interfere as do floodwaters.
    Do you think the spawn is gonna happen this year before the water rises? What water temp do the blacks spawn at? And what temps for the whites?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

LONNIE GOOD READ
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the deal: the blacks show up first. They usually start when the water temp reaches about 59 degrees and higher. Whites show up somewhat later, usually when the water temp hits around 62 degrees. Anyone that says blacks and whites don't use the same general areas to spawn is full of bull. When the water muddies up, I catch more whites. When the water is clear, I catch more blacks.

The reason I say "when the water begins to rise" on KY lake is more likely than not April 1. The water temp is usually in the above range, so rising waters to summer pool is an excellent indicator here on Ky Lake.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Here is the deal: the blacks show up first. They usually start when the water temp reaches about 59 degrees and higher. Whites show up somewhat later, usually when the water temp hits around 62 degrees. Anyone that says blacks and whites don't use the same general areas to spawn is full of bull. When the water muddies up, I catch more whites. When the water is clear, I catch more blacks.

The reason I say "when the water begins to rise" on KY lake is more likely than not April 1. The water temp is usually in the above range, so rising waters to summer pool is an excellent indicator here on Ky Lake.
    Thank you Cane pole for the info. Sauger fishing is my main addiction, but the Ohio river stays so jacked up anymore we didn't get to go hardly at all this year so I've turned to crappie fishing and I'm trying to learn all I can about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Be sure to go my the morning water temps and I agree when the water comes up the bite is on for me also.
    Semper Fidelis!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great info canepole! This is the type people can use.
    Likes mgrimm LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast