Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: My first ever crappie tournament

Post Thanks / Like

Default My first ever crappie tournament

I knew going into this crappie tournament that it isn't my style to be told when to go and where but I had a bud that wanted me to be in his boat and I gave into the pressure . That said it was kinda like I imagined . Wind was howling early and got nothing but worse and the temperature was dropping right nicely along with the nice rainy mist as well .....
    We had a plan that went south quickly and managed 2 right quickly on out first stop , we then proceeded to struggle for 2 more fish and finished in the sea of waves about 2 hours early . Our total bag was 5 fish and the tournament regulations said we were able to weigh in 10 live fish .Now mind you out of 36 teams only 8 or 9 even had fish to weigh in and when we came in early like most of the teams did .
    The good news is that is was a super friendly bunch of folks that just like to ketch crappie .We had children and women and every kind of boat you can imagine in this thing . A few had to be towed back in ,but other than getting a bit wet everyone had a pretty good time .The food was really good and we laughed it up pretty good .
    I won 2 bottles of Slab Slobber and am eager to try them soon .
    Might do another one of these someday if its a similar type of thing , but like I told the man running it he should make it a few weeks later on a big lake in these parts to insure success for all the anglers . the winners of the tournament said this is a tough time on many lakes while the fish transition and I would agree totally with this and knew in advance from the prefishing reports and the one day I prefished there as well .
    here are a few photos and as always hope yawl have a great day
    last 2 photos are the winning basket and the jig they used to produce them .....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes S10CHEVY, ad1974 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I quit doing tournaments a couple years ago just because of that. I hated fishing because I had to. Miserable cold day, windy and rainy. Feel bad for my fishing buddy, but that was it I was done.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not fished a tournament in years usually fished Bass and Walleye. I loved the tough fishing days it brought the really really good anglers to the top. Forced me and my partner to dig deep and try to figure out the bite.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I didn't care about the tough bite, it was because I froze my butt off. Heck I can struggle at times in perfect conditions.

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Tournaments seem to almost always be on days with bad weather from my experience.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

Post Thanks / Like

Great job out there! Tough to "have to" fish when conditions are bad, but that's tournament fishing in a nutshell.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."