Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sickle hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sickle hooks

Hey,
    I am new to using sickle hooks , usually use 1/32 and 1/16 jigs for casting tubes and bg for crappie. What size sickle hooks and color do y'all recommend and any suggestions on a supplier? Are they worth it?
    Thanks a lot!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure there are more experienced crappie fishermen here that can comment on their effectiveness. I've used most bends/kinds of hooks for crappie and other species of fish over the past half century. Have never noticed one being superior over another. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Jig heads with sickle hooks and extra light wire hooks are selling well. Many of my customers really like these hooks.

Monk

Post Thanks / Like

If you buy Matsu sickle hooks, make sure hey have barbs large enough to hold a crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

only thing i ever use now is red Matsu #2 sickle hooks on a 1/8 oz jig or a #4 on a 1/16 oz jig. hardly hooks em anywhere but the roof of the mouth and hardly ever lose a fish from it getting off.
    Retired golf addict
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biskitboy View Post
    Hey,
    I am new to using sickle hooks , usually use 1/32 and 1/16 jigs for casting tubes and bg for crappie. What size sickle hooks and color do y'all recommend and any suggestions on a supplier? Are they worth it?
    Thanks a lot!!!
    Captain Hooks,Crazyangler ,lurecraft, Do-it," barlows" has a size or recommended chart really handy!!on buying hooks."black nickle hooks will not rust!! #6,4's for 1/32 and 1/16 oz,#4 ,2's.Both matzuo and eagle claws have their places.Like the matzuo's for trout fishing and bream fishing the short to no barb cannot be beat."2 cents.Love the eagle claws when we have a trophy size crappie/walleye on the line and don't want it to get away."2 cent's" Watch the sales in the fall on hook's can usually get a bargain.Cheaper by the thousand,They don't need feeding!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

been using sickles now exclusively for several years. I think you need to use a little common sense on the size and style of fishing you are doing. If i'm fishing for big fish on big baits in deep water I use a larger hook, If I'm fishing thick brush, with a small jig, I use a smaller hook.

I been using red sickles in my hair jigs for last couple of years and tend to stay around the #2/#4 size.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

All I use is jigs and plain old Eagle Claw 570 hooks hard to beat . Not a fan of the Sickle hooks . Some say the barbs are too small . They are sharp but if too sharp they hang in wood more , does not take really sharp hooks to stick a Crappie . The angle bend of sickles verses the round style on regular hook can see no advantages . I know sickles do usually cost more .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Bought my #4s from Captain hooks I think? cptn-hooks.com again? on website. I like the larger gap between tube and point seems like I hook more with the gap

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used jigheads with sickle hooks, and they worked just fine. I don't, however, intend to stop using my jigheads with Aberdeen hooks in favor of them.

I have used Aberdeen hooks since I first started Crappie fishing, nearly 60yrs ago, back when fishing with minnows was about all I did. When I started using jigs for Crappie, most had #4 Aberdeen hooks, which worked just fine. When I started using weedless jigheads, originally they had #4 Aberdeens, which worked just fine. Now that I'm using larger/thicker bodied plastics on my weedless jigheads (for casting), I've gone to #2 Aberdeen hooks ... which have worked just fine. My jigheads for "Pushing" are a mix of #4 & #2 Aberdeen hooks, and they have worked just fine.

Probably 90% of the time my jig's hook will be stuck into the roof of the fish's mouth ... that's just the design nature of a jig, since the hook & the jighead tie eye are always pointing up (on retrieval & with hookset). I say "probably 90% of the time" because I do occasionally hook fish somewhere other than the roof of the mouth. But, even so, it's a rare occasion that I lip hook a fish (the most common way a fish that's hooked can come off). I rarely lose a fish, once hooked ... and because of that, I don't see any special need to change to a sickle hook.

That's just me ... you use what you have confidence in !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast