Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New To Crappie Fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Default New To Crappie Fishing!

Hello to all! I have always been a catfish and carp man but am ready to get into CRAPPIE fishing now. So I need your help as to what all do I need? I know light weight rods which I have but as far as the lures and all. What is best and what do you all prefer? I have excellant places to go from where I live. I am close to Wylie,High Rock,Hickory. So I just need some general info, thanks for the help!!!!
    Here Fishy,Fishy!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Crappie.com from Mississippi.
    You are indeed close to some good water for crappie. I would first go to the N.C. board and read up on what your neighbors have posted.
    LURES--- nothing works any better than minnows. That can be followed up by a good selection of jigs. I would go to Wal-Mart and buy a couple bags of 1/32 and 1/16 oz/ jig heads. Then i would select some tube skirts in various colors. Now you're ready.
    Get yourself on the water and watch the other guys and ask questions. Most of'em will help with advice on what to use and how to use it. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Kentucky and Cave Run Lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 9289 From Toledo Bend Texas!

If I can help you with some jigs or any info please check out my web page. I also have a How To Page that is kind of basic stuff. Personally I like long line trolling a jig best. In the summer I fish at night and use a double set up with a 3 way swivel I tie on a short line with a minnow hook and about 18" lower I have a 1/4 oz jig to use as weight and a lure. generally you will catch the bigger fish on the jig most every time.

Had one of my customers try my tip out the other day and his friends on other boats didn't catch any. The other guy in his boat got 5 while he got 20 and said I was right the bigger fish came on the jig!

Good Luck,

Skip
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 12-17-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Well thanks foe the help so far guys! Out of 60 views 3 people replied! WoW! But thanks to you all that did!!
    Here Fishy,Fishy!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Welcome, welcome

Well first of all fish, read the post, think about what you did, and fish some more. As far as supplies I love use jigs 1/32, 1/16, but I also use minnows. Always keep some with me when I'm out. Get you some of those cheap slip boobers from wally 3 for 94cents, and some long shank aberan (whatever):D hooks. Many people like the gold, but I use the 98cents ones from wally world, you get 20 instead of 10 and they are sharper.

Get a selection of different color tubes, and there u go. All that for about 5-10bucks.

If I'm rambling sorry, I'm running on fumes , chasing crappie last night.

Again welcome and enjoy
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

RFD2630, Welcome from California, There is a lot of good info here read ask questions. And go fishin...

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer vertical jigging. That's where you get on top of the fish using a boat or dock and drop your jigs straight down. Most Jiggers I know start at the bottom and work their way up. I like to start at the top and work my way down. It doesn't make much difference, except that crappie tend to strike up more than down. So I drop mine in a couple feet deep; fish a few minutes, and if I don't get a bite I drop a couple more feet.

If you're fishing from the bank, you'll want to learn about slip corking. Most of the technique is in the rigging. Once you figure out how you like your rig, fishing it is pretty easy.

I like soft plastic jigs, 'cause you can buy them with salt/scent already impregnated. My personal favorite are Bobby Garland jigs made by Gene Larew, but they're not availible in all areas. Yum brand is all over the country, and their jigs are really good too. I like hooks larger than most crappie fishermen; I find that I convert more strikes into fish using larger hooks. So get some jigheads from 1/32-1/8th oz w/the largest hooks you can find. I wouldn't go heavier than 1/8th unless you're trolling.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

First of all I would sink some structure...... that way you know where and how deep they are. Then watch the lake report.....
    I am a minnow man after the spawn..... Find some good structure and fish top to bottom until you find the confort zone for crappie.... DO NOT SIT IN ONE PLACE FOR AN HOUR OR SO...... MOVE, MOVE, MOVE..... that way you can find the pattern.....and most important enjoy being out on the lake with good friends and catching crappie is the icying on the cake.....
    Good fishing...............

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fr all the input guys! ALl help is greatly appreciated!(not good with spelling)
    Here Fishy,Fishy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast